cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Obama clearly won

I'm not sure how people are calling this a tie. Yeah, I guess McCain didn't look like a complete idiot, but to me (a moderately conservative independent), Obama clearly won.

McCain has completely lost track of his political origins. To me, his original appeal was his independence, his willingness to work across the aisle, his fiscal responsibility. After listening to him last night, he sounds like a cheap imitation of the far right. I don't even know where he stands anymore. And I'm sorry--I appreciate what he did for our country, but that doesn't qualify him to be president. Why can't the Republicans find a bright, articulate voice, someone who graduated in even the middle of their class? It would have been interesting to see a Romney-Obama debate.

My top issue is still the deficit and Obama certainly makes me nervous about this. But the "new" McCain is not any better, and possibly much worse in this regard. I hate the idea of cutting people's taxes while simultaneously giving them massive benefit increases, as I think it sets a really bad precedent, but it's certainly more original and well thought-out than anything McCain has said on the subject of healthcare.

McCain is a sellout. I'm voting Obama.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I listed to Romney last night on CNN. He displayed more acumen in 30 seconds, than McCain has in the last month, when it came to financial stuff going on.

McCain really has no vision for this county. And that's why he's going to lose.

Americans realize that Obama might not be all that, but putting McCain in like promoting the asst. to a losing coach. Time to change regimes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I listed to Romney last night on CNN. He displayed more acumen in 30 seconds, than McCain has in the last month, when it came to financial stuff going on.

Americans realize that Obama might not be all that, but putting McCain in like promoting the asst. to a losing coach. Time to change regimes.
Back in the winter, when many including Mike thought McCain was so wonderful, nobody noticed how important Mitt's economic credentials would be.

Now we are paying the price.

And I believe the Republican Party is probably completely dead. Hello Whig Part, meet the Republicans.

But moderates and conservatives will have no representation outside of local state representation. Our voices have been muted by that gd f...ing Idiot of an ahole McCain. May he die a slow and painful death for his single handed murder of the Republican Party. May the flees of a thousand camels infest his armpits and his groin. I do not appreciate his service of getting shot down.

I loathe McCain for giving us Obama.

Obama has pretty language for more of the same ole, New Deal logic. I think I need to learn to get drunk and find lots of loose women for the next two decades only coming out of my stupor once we find our souls again.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

That's the maddening part, it's not Obama, it's McCain. The rockstar thing has worn off. Obama is an empty suit, has zero charisma, he stutters, stammers, has horrible "timing" when it comes to speeches, etc.

McCain just sucks.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
McCain just sucks.
The very thin, very rusty silver lining on an Obama win is that I never have to say the words "President McCain."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The very thin, very rusty silver lining on an Obama win is that I never have to say the words "President McCain."

Yes. And we won't have to hear "my friends" over and over.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But you're going to vote for him anyway. Gotta love the two party system.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
But you're going to vote for him anyway. Gotta love the two party system.
Lesser of two evils.

And I do like the system more than a 3+ alternative that could see someone elected with a small plurality.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lesser of two evils.

And I do like the system more than a 3+ alternative that could see someone elected with a small plurality.
hey, but aren't you one of those guys who like to remind us this is a republic rather than a democracy? The Constitution provides the solution for a presidential election when no one gets a majority of electoral votes. The world wouldn't end.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
hey, but aren't you one of those guys who like to remind us this is a republic rather than a democracy? The Constitution provides the solution for a presidential election when no one gets a majority of electoral votes. The world wouldn't end.
I didn't say the world would end. But if you though you saw rancor in 2000 (when Bush was elected with less popular vote than his opponent), wait until some guy gets elected with 20 or 35 or 40% of the popular vote only.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young