cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ****The Offical Save My 401K thread****

This is the thread where you beg and cry and cajole, in hopes of a bailout because you are worried that your 401k will lose its value.

Tripletdaddy and ExUte are the first declared members of this group.

Amounts will increase your cred, as in "I just lost $469,000 from my 401k yesterday."

It is de rigeur to claim that while you are of course concerned about your own financial position, you are MORE worried about other people's welfare and that is the primary reason you support a bailout.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is the thread where you beg and cry and cajole, in hopes of a bailout because you are worried that your 401k will lose its value.

Tripletdaddy and ExUte are the first declared members of this group.

Amounts will increase your cred, as in "I just lost $469,000 from my 401k yesterday."

It is de rigeur to claim that while you are of course concerned about your own financial position, you are MORE worried about other people's welfare and that is the primary reason you support a bailout.
I know you "bring it" in the Finance category, but most high net individuals are not hoarding $500K in a 401K account. Just a little FYI....

Can you imagine, a CEO of a large F500 company...."Let's see, I can contribute up to 6% of my income to my 401k and my employer will match!....oh, wait, I am a partner at this extremely large firm....we don't HAVE 401K options because we own the company."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My 401k is perfectly safe and I fully anticipate on working for another 25 years.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I know you "bring it" in the Finance category, but most high net individuals are not hoarding $500K in a 401K account. Just a little FYI....

Can you imagine, a CEO of a large F500 company...."Let's see, I can contribute up to 6% of my income to my 401k and my employer will match!....oh, wait, I am a partner at this extremely large firm....we don't HAVE 401K options because we own the company."
But you aren't partner. Despite being at your firm a long time.

See, you never can predict the future.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
But you aren't partner. Despite being at your firm a long time.

See, you never can predict the future.
Speaking of which, when are they going to promote me? I probably won't be up for another 2 or so years. Maybe 3. I'm getting pissed.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Most people in this country, I venture to say, don't have a 401k. Nor any kind of Roth or a tax-deferred retirement account. And it's not because they are so rich that they don't need one.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My 401k is perfectly safe and I fully anticipate on working for another 25 years.
But all your major clients are heavy into credit default swaps. And there's no bail out. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Most people in this country, I venture to say, don't have a 401k. Nor any kind of Roth or a tax-deferred retirement account. And it's not because they are so rich that they don't need one.
Exactly. Those are the folks that are losing their homes.

The ones on whose graves you wish to dance.

PS partners do not lack 401Ks because they are "too wealthy." It is because often, the partnership docs preclude them...or, in the alternative, it is simply too expensive for the company to provide them to D&O. Once you make your capital contribution, you own part of the company, so in theory, there would be no need for a 401K. You just get distributions at retirement.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Exactly. Those are the folks that are losing their homes.

The ones on whose graves you wish to dance.

PS partners do not lack 401Ks because they are "too wealthy." It is because often, the partnership docs preclude them...or, in the alternative, it is simply too expensive for the company to provide them to D&O. Once you make your capital contribution, you own part of the company, so in theory, there would be no need for a 401K. You just get distributions at retirement.
actually most of these people don't own a home. Or have a predatory loan they signed. Or are upside down on their mortgages.

Again, what is the solution? Real estate prices coming down.

What do you want to do? Immediately inflate real estate prices.

This is really the thing that almost no one is willing to talk about in this country---that prices HAVE to come down.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
actually most of these people don't own a home. Or have a predatory loan they signed. Or are upside down on their mortgages.

Again, what is the solution? Real estate prices coming down.

What do you want to do? Immediately inflate real estate prices.

This is really the thing that almost no one is willing to talk about in this country---that prices HAVE to come down.
I would love to talk about it. I am all for prices coming down so I can move my family into something with a yard.