cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road
Default The right's dance with Islam

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...erspective-hed

"In May of that year, former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan wrote that on such issues as homosexuality, "conservative Americans have more in common with devout Muslims than with liberal Democrats." Chiding Bush for urging Muslims to embrace the modern American version of liberty and equality, Buchanan wrote, "Why not stand beside Islam, and against Hollywood and Hillary?""

interesting article ...

how about giving a chance to muslims for proving "who they really ARE" instead of making huge and constantly effort to deny "who they are NOT"
a better understanding of true islam would actually help drop radical islamists off .IMHO

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 07-08-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...erspective-hed

"In May of that year, former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan wrote that on such issues as homosexuality, "conservative Americans have more in common with devout Muslims than with liberal Democrats." Chiding Bush for urging Muslims to embrace the modern American version of liberty and equality, Buchanan wrote, "Why not stand beside Islam, and against Hollywood and Hillary?""

interesting article ...

how about giving a chance to muslims for proving "who they really ARE" instead of making huge and constantly effort to deny "who they are NOT"
a better understanding of true islam would actually help drop radical islamists off .IMHO
We are waiting for that to happen. When are the good Muslims going to rise up against the radical minority and put an end to all the terrorist strikes? That would be much more effective.

The silence from the majority of the Muslim world is deafening.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You know very well that if they really had the desire, Muslims could do a lot of good to stop radicals.

If your religious leaders didn't encourage "Death to America" chants on a routine basis, that would be a start.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
You know very well that if they really had the desire, Muslims could do a lot of good to stop radicals.

If your religious leaders didn't encourage "Death to America" chants on a routine basis, that would be a start.
has it occured to you to think WHY they should chant "death to America"??
you watched the "declassified" documentary and you know what they have done to our country,religion and people , and those are just a very bit of what actually has happend .

granted ,itsnot nice at all to yell at other country calling for death ,although you know who and what the motto's targets are ..but any way.

fighting with islamic radicals is what iran has been doing for a long time ..and the fight has many battlefields 1)in seminaries 2)in universities and 3) in borders ! yet we are alone and accused of helping them .
Taliban and al-qaeda hate shia and true islam as much as they hate america and americans..just in case you might want to know.
i am not going to enter a tiresome marathon with any one in here ..becuase you accusing me and i accusing you ,itsnot going to pave any way to to reach out a solution.

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 07-08-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
has it occured to you to think WHY they should chant "death to America"??
you watched the "declassified" documentary and you know what they have done to our country,religion and people , and those are just a very bit of what actually has happend .
granted ,itsnot nice at all to yell at other country calling for death ,although you know who and what the motto's targets are ..but any way.
fighting with islamic radicals is what iran has been doing for a long time ..and the fight has many battlefields 1)in seminaries 2)in universities and 3) in borders ! yet we are alone and accused of helping them .
Taliban and al-qaeda hate shia and true islam as much as they hate america and americans..just in case you might to know.
i am not going to enter a tiresome marathon with any one in here ..but you accusing me and i accusing you ,itsnot going to pave any way to to reach out a solution.
Sounds like you have alot of work to do. Get on it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We are waiting for that to happen. When are the good Muslims going to rise up against the radical minority and put an end to all the terrorist strikes? That would be much more effective.

The silence from the majority of the Muslim world is deafening.
well,dont you think just "Waiting" for something isnot actually going to make it happen..do you ?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
well,dont you think just "Waiting" for something isnot actually going to make it happen..do you ?
we got to help each other and for that ,we need to turst each other at first but befor that ..we need to be honest with ourselves . is it really PEACE we are looking for ?
It depends on who you mean by "we".

I believe and hope that most moderate Muslims want to live in peace and be free.

The goal of the west is peace as well, but we wont give up our freedom and way of life. So the peace will have to come after we win this war on terror.

Why don't you tell me what the ultimate goal of radical islam is so I don't screw it up? I think it has something to do with destroying America and subjugating the planet to Islamic rule, but I could be wrong.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My point is that the US is out there fighting the radical Muslims while the rest of Islam sits on it's hands and does nothing. If you want good PR for Muslims, it's up to you good folks.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
It depends on who you mean by "we".

I believe and hope that most moderate Muslims want to live in peace and be free.

The goal of the west is peace as well, but we wont give up our freedom and way of life. So the peace will have to come after we win this war on terror.

Why don't you tell me what the ultimate goal of radical islam is so I don't screw it up? I think it has something to do with destroying America and subjugating the planet to Islamic rule, but I could be wrong.
war on terror sounds good ,but the thing i cannot understand is what iraqi people had to do with radical islamists and al-qaeade ..if you say "we went there becuase saddam was on power and he was a bad guy" i would say saddam was the same guy who you helped to get the power and dared to attack iran and kuwiat and you were a full supporter at that time.

so the war on terror should be sought somewhere else.methinks

and sorry to disappoint you , i am not a voice of radical islamist as you arenot a voice of radical conservatives (assumedly) so i have no exact idea what their goal is ,but it couldnot be a very nice goal after all!

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 07-08-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My point is that the US is out there fighting the radical Muslims while the rest of Islam sits on it's hands and does nothing. If you want good PR for Muslims, it's up to you good folks.
well, i guess its becuase you have already arranged your coalitions and goals so there hasnot been any role for islamic countries to play ?
i am sure you know how a shared business works ..same interest ,same goals..