cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Utah rolls the rest of the way until....

I think Utah has finally turned the corner on their season.

So, I'm willing to predict that provided BJ stays healthy, that Utah will roll through the rest of their schedule, until and/or leading up to what should turn out to be a very fun showdown in Provo on November 24th.

Which also happens to be my birthday.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you are right.

You look at the schedule, and the only team that scares me is Utah...because I just don't know what team will show up. I certainly think that every game is winnable, Whit just has to rally the troops...

UNM and Wyoming could be tough, but both are in SLC and Wyoming will be fresh of the BYU game (I think).

It should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I'm also interested to see what TCU has in the tank next Thursday.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I hope you are right.

You look at the schedule, and the only team that scares me is Utah...because I just don't know what team will show up. I certainly think that every game is winnable, Whit just has to rally the troops...

UNM and Wyoming could be tough, but both are in SLC and Wyoming will be fresh of the BYU game (I think).

It should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I'm also interested to see what TCU has in the tank next Thursday.
I hear ya....my prediction is going out on a limb a bit, but I really think that if BJ stays healthy that Utah is finally starting to turn the corner.

I just don't think TCU is very good this year....and the potential of Whit's teams pulling a McCrowtingham are still there.....I think for Whit to really show he's the coach the team needs is to see how well the team responds the rest of the way, and I don't mean just playing great against BYU, no offense, but I mean playing well the rest of the way and beating the teams they should...but also beating the teams they shouldn't.

Beating UCLA and Louisville the way they did is kind of an indictment on the guy,,,,because there's just no way that team should lose to AFA and UNLV....even with injuries. So this stretch run will be a key to his tenure up there. I'm not saying he'll be fired if he sucks down the stretch,,,,but if they don't do well...it will certainly put him on in a do or die type of situation in 08.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-12-2007 at 04:14 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

So, I'm willing to predict that provided BJ stays healthy, that Utah will roll through the rest of their schedule, until and/or leading up to what should turn out to be a very fun showdown in Provo on November 24th.

Magic 8 ball says: The probability of this coming to fruition are best described by the words: SNOWBALL AND BLOWTORCH.

Utah will lose to either WYO or UNM at home, and probably to TCU as well.

Teams who get shut out by UNLV may turn corners, but the new street is not one of 5 game win streaks against the "stiff" competition of the MWC. Utah will be a better team than they have been, but they still aren't that good.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Whoa, that would be great. I'm going to save myself some heartache though and just look at them one game at a time. If they beat SDSU handily then I'll feel a little bit better. I think the greater likelihood lies with them beating SDSU and playing TCU close (win or lose). I'm only looking that far ahead. They'd better come to play at TCU though, because I'm going to be in attendance and don't want to be embarrassed.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not sure they run the table until the 24th, but I do think they make a bowl game this year (or at least get bowl eligible). I still think they are schizo until they prove otherwise. BJ looked very good against Louisville. Of course, my new puppy could have shredded that defense, but you can't pin that on BJ necessarily - he made the right reads and threw decent balls.

I still think that Utah loses to TCU (since that in FW) and loses to one of NM or Wyo, since those two always have Utah's number. My vote is on NM, simply because Wyo has a lesser offense than NM.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Magic 8 ball says: The probability of this coming to fruition are best described by the words: SNOWBALL AND BLOWTORCH.

Utah will lose to either WYO or UNM at home, and probably to TCU as well.

Teams who get shut out by UNLV may turn corners, but the new street is not one of 5 game win streaks against the "stiff" competition of the MWC. Utah will be a better team than they have been, but they still aren't that good.
I have to agree with this. How many times did we hear about BYU turning the corner and coming together as a team during the GC era? They're going to choke a few more times this season. Were I a yewt I'd be kind of hoping that they do so that the Hill would fire KW. It won't happen though, they'll win a few, and lose a few and KW will be spared another year. I figure it will take at least two more seasons of this before the yewts are ready to show KW his way out.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I have to agree with this. How many times did we hear about BYU turning the corner and coming together as a team during the GC era? They're going to choke a few more times this season. Were I a yewt I'd be kind of hoping that they do so that the Hill would fire KW. It won't happen though, they'll win a few, and lose a few and KW will be spared another year. I figure it will take at least two more seasons of this before the yewts are ready to show KW his way out.
Still think the Utes go 0-12?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Still think the Utes go 0-12?
They still suck funk.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

With all of this being said, talent-wise and from how we've seen Utah play despite the major injuries, I think they have the potential to win the rest of their games. SDSU, TCU, NM, WYO, BYU, etc. , they are all winnable by the Utes.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote