cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I think BYU's offense is far and away the best in the conference. The defense is somewhere in the middle to bottom half of the conference. The offense is good enough to make up for the defense against most teams. If the offense plays around 75% of their ability they will beat everyone in the conference provided they win or are even in the turnover department. I can see Utah beating them if the offense has an off day and they are -2 in the turnover department. If BYU could ever get some decent corners, they would be very good defensively. You can tell the coaches have no confidence in the corners when they make them give a 14 yard cushion on a 3rd and 2.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
that is the best football post you have ever had
I'm searching posts to find out who he stole it from.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I think BYU's offense is far and away the best in the conference. The defense is somewhere in the middle to bottom half of the conference. The offense is good enough to make up for the defense against most teams. If the offense plays around 75% of their ability they will beat everyone in the conference provided they win or are even in the turnover department. I can see Utah beating them if the offense has an off day and they are -2 in the turnover department. If BYU could ever get some decent corners, they would be very good defensively. You can tell the coaches have no confidence in the corners when they make them give a 14 yard cushion on a 3rd and 2.
Yet another post/complaint about the corner playing so far off. He's not giving them a cushion, they are playing a zone defense where the corner drops back and coveres the deep part of the zone and the inside linebacker that lined up over the slot receiver takes the flat.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think both teams need to worry about TCU, they held San Diego State to 86 yards of total offense.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
What about the O-line?
We certainly lose 4 fantastic players on the O-line, but if there's one position on the team I feel comfortable about re: depth and talent...the O-line is one of those places.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think both teams need to worry about TCU, they held San Diego State to 86 yards of total offense.
Hold on. Let's see TCU hold Cal Poly to 85 yards.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
While that's an incredible stat, SDSU's impressive Redshirt Freshman QB was knocked out in the 1st quarter.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This is obviously an uneducated post. No way is this defense in the middle or bottom of the conference. You must not watch very many games. Just a few quick numbers:

Total defense: 27th in the nation
Scoring defense: 7th in the nation
Rushing defense: 33rd in the nation
Pass efficiency defense: 27th in the nation

Also I dont think you understand that BYU plays 99% zone defense and that is why the corners play so far off the all. You could have Deion Sanders and Darrell Green back in their primes and they would be playing that far off the ball. The corners job is to play intermediate to deep zone coverage on that side of the field depending on what is called. It is the outside linebackers job to cover the flats. So all of those short passes are the outside linebackers responsiblity. The corner is only supposed to come up when he reads the play and knows for sure it is going to the receiver.

A little education for you, BYU has a bend but dont break defensive philosophy, Bronco has always been this way. He is fine giving up 4,6 or even 8 yard chunks of yardage but he wants to contain the big play. He feels like if he makes you take 9,10,11 plays to move the ball down the field that eventually you will make a mistake. So far this season he is correct.

BYU ranks 1st in fumbles forced, and 3rd in fumbles recovered. They are also 13th in turnover margin, 8th in redzone defense and 38th in first downs allowed. I dont care if you have played 6 games against Suck Dog State those are impressive numbers. Also take a look at the scoring drives against BYU this year:

UNI
7 plays 76 yards
0 plays (sack, and fumbled in the endzone)

UW
7-66
7-79
13-65
17-76

UCLA
N/A

Wyo
N/A

USU
7-80
7-63

On average that is 8.2 plays per drive in order to score. If a team takes that many plays to score I like our defenses chances of forcing a mistake or turnover. I do think that right now TCU and Utah have the two best defenses in the conference (in that order). But BYU is definitely 3rd and on the cusp of moving up.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I know one thing, when Utah and BYU play this year, you can throw all amateur football analyst windbaggery about "matchups" and such out the window. The biggest outcome determinative factors will be intangibles, emotion driven. There might even be a blow out by one team or the other, against all odds and expectations. The greatest game in history might be played, overtimes and all. ANYTHING could happen, as we've seen.
I didn't think you had it in you. I didn't think something reasonable about football was able to come from those fingers of yours.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
How do you byu fans really feel about your team?

Ucla isnt any good...
Udub is horrendous
wyo, utah st and northern Iowa are wyo, utah st and northern iowa

because our conference sucks you only have two tough games left. Worst case you are 10-2 good chance to be 12-0. Your offense looks like it can score on anyone. Your defense's weakness (dbs) can only be exploited by one team (utah) but your offense matches up real well with them and you can probably just outscore them. Not to mention who knows which brian johnson will show up for that game.

Can your team beat Oklahoma? Texas? boise st?
Troll.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote