cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Latin dying (again)?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6308281.stm

This scholar believes that it's all been downhill since the Catholic Church moved toward the vernacular.

It is my understanding that among newer private schools in the U.S., there's a swing toward the Classical model of education, including requiring Latin. But I don't know how successful that movement will be in the long run.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post

This scholar believes that it's all been downhill since the Catholic Church moved toward the vernacular.

It is my understanding that among newer private schools in the U.S., there's a swing toward the Classical model of education, including requiring Latin. But I don't know how successful that movement will be in the long run.
Vatican II generated much resentment, including among intellectual traditionalists who nevertheless are not really religions most of all lamenting loss of the Latin mass. For example, William F. Buckley has all these years continued to attend Latin mass, which may not be even legal. This is an old issue. But the current Pope seems a natural to reinstate the Latin mass. So maybe that gives rise to articles like this, to egg him on.

Outside of scholarly pursuits Latin died a long time ago except to the extent its DNA lives extensively in all the European languages, especially the Romance ones. This is kind of much ado about nothing, really.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Outside of scholarly pursuits Latin died a long time ago ...
Exactly. The language has for centuries be fundamentally a pursuit of academia and nothing more nor less. The author seems offended that young Catholic priests are no longer required to demonstrate the mastery of Latin that they once were. But I don't see that impacting the long term viability of the language as a course of study.

But it may be true that fewer students will benefit from early exposure to the language as Catholic schools stop requiring Latin or drop it altogether.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Oodgay ingthay igpay atinlay is illstay liveay. I'm uentflay.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Latin looks like an easy language to acquire, but I'm not as interested in it. Babs, is it worth it?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I took Latin. I wish I had taken Spanish.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Latin looks like an easy language to acquire, but I'm not as interested in it. Babs, is it worth it?
Latin is fun but the only practical worth I've found so far is throwing around words like uxorial.

If you want to read the Vulgate or Vergil or Cicero, you could probably get there within a reasonable timeframe. I'd stick to Greek since the NT seems most important to you.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Latin is valuable if for no other reason than to improve your english. About 60 percent of the words in the english language (or so I'm told) have Latin roots. Latin phrases still pepper academic writings, as well. I also enjoy reading the vulgate about as much, if not more, than I do the Greek New Testament. I love the stuff.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Latin is valuable if for no other reason than to improve your english. About 60 percent of the words in the english language (or so I'm told) have Latin roots. Latin phrases still pepper academic writings, as well. I also enjoy reading the vulgate about as much, if not more, than I do the Greek New Testament. I love the stuff.
It's also very valuable for learning logic. Classical Latin is very logically organized. I was surprised to find mathematicians and philosophers interested in it just for the thinking skills.

Some commentaries to Greek texts are starting to be written in English, and one rarely finds large chunks of Greek or Latin in scholarly articles without attendant translations, a development of the last generation or so (although exceptions persist).

Last edited by Solon; 05-03-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: left out a word
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote