cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Webster - Another show about an adopted African-American little person. Emmanual Lewis sure seems a lot more well-adjusted than Gary Coleman.

Small Wonder - A pre-pubescent robot integrating in the family? Brilliant!

Silver Spoons - A kid finding his zillionaire long-lost father who is often more immature than his son makes for some great comedy and even better life lessons.

My Two-Dads - A girl's mother dies and she moves in with her father whom she has never met. Her pops takes himself too seriously, but he's balanced out by his wacky roommate with a great mullet and purple couch.

Who's the Boss? - An Italian boxer finds work as a housekeeper for an uptight female New England executive. Her mother, a sex-starved senior citizen, laid the groundwork for Golden Girls. As Tony's daughter became more feminine throughout the course of the series, so did Angela's son.

Perfect Strangers - Cousin Larry meets Balki as he conquers Chicago.

Growing Pains - Launched the career of Kirk Cameron.

The best thing about these sitcoms is that they always implored the viewer to continue viewing after the commercial break. I miss that.
Shame on me:

1. Silver Spoons....brought us Jason Bateman and Erin Gray. Also, the Moonwalk for white people.
2. Growing Pains...for whatever reason, it was all of a sudden okay to say the word "Boner" as often as you wanted. Sounds good to me.
3. Who's The Boss....Alyssa Milano.........that's a spicy meatball! (technically, she wasnt so spicy here, since she was about 11 years old, but still)

I was never into Small Wonder, and the Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan rumors really turned me off.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You idiots. You are not mentioning the two greatest shows of all-time:

Magnum PI and Airwolf
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh wait, was this a gay sitcom thread?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #44
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
For me, a few of shows were:

Charlie's Angels - I've mentioned this before (and I may be breaking rule #67 of this board), but this show launched puberty for males about my age.

Three's Company - Chrissy Snow. 'Nuff said.

Miami Vice (post mission) - Crockett drove some cool cars, especially the white '85 Testarossa, and Tubbs was the epitome of cool. And babes in bikinis were there before Baywatch was an idea.

Welcome Back Kotter - who didn't want to be a sweathog?

WKRP in Cincinnatti - Sure, Jennifer was stacked, but Baily - wow. Les Nessman is the greatest radio newsman ever. Being married to the station's majority owner allowed Mr. Carlson to apparently skip the background check.

All in the Family - concur with your comments.

What's Happening? - Raj, Dwayne and Rerun and their adventures. The mouthy little Dee always had great comebacks. Big Shirley was to be respected because she didn't allow any ne'er do wells to cause trouble at Rob's Place.

Brady Bunch - Jan was unintentionally correct: Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

Was never really a fan of but would watch:

M*A*S*H
Sanford and Son (Very cool theme song)
Mork and Mindy
I loved What's Happening. This show formed one-third of The Black Triumvirate....my threefold exposure to real black culture growing up: Good Times (to see what unhappy, poor black people are like), What's Happening (to see what happy, poor black people are like), and The Jeffersons (to see what unhappy, poor black people are like once they are given enough money to move away, thereby becoming happy, rich black people).

Anyway, with regards to What's Happening, who would have known that Fred Berry could make berets and jumpsuits so cool? This show really reminded me of my childhood in the ghetto, when me and all my friends would go to school all day, then head over to the soda shop after school to hang out and avoid trouble....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #45
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Oh wait, was this a gay sitcom thread?
If it were, you started it.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You idiots. You are not mentioning the two greatest shows of all-time:

Magnum PI and Airwolf
Magnum PI was cool. Never got into Airwolf. And never liked McGyver.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The best thing about these sitcoms is that they always implored the viewer to continue viewing after the commercial break. I miss that.
What about being told that every show is filmed before a live studio audience? Why don't more shows do that today? "The Superbowl is filmed before a Live studio audience...." or "Predators: Caught on Tape is filmed before a Live studio audience..."

Another thing I miss about old school sitcoms....every now and then, esp when ratings were sagging, you would get the "A Very Special.....(insert the name of sit-com)" episode.

The "A Very Special..." tag usually meant that not only was the episode NOT going to be funny, but it was going to deal with serious issues of the 80s, such as a character contemplating an abortion, or someone being addicted to pills, or someone battling alcoholism.

The hallmark of the "A Very Special..." episode was two-fold:

1. The awkward silence before every commercial break (since there was no laugh track)
2. The closing fade-to-black silent shot as the camera pans out.

Sit-coms usually went off the air pretty shortly after the "A Very Special..." episode, but I miss them nonetheless.

*fade to black*

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 12-12-2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 AM   #48
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Magnum PI was cool. Never got into Airwolf. And never liked McGyver.
I hated McGyver.

But I love the McGroover clips on SNL that they run now. They are basically as ridiculous as the original show, but you only have to sit through about 20 seconds instead of one hour.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What about being told that every show is filmed before a live studio audience? Why don't more shows do that today? "The Superbowl is filmed before a Live studio audience...." or "Predators: Caught on Tape is filmed before a Live studio audience..."

Another thing I miss about old school sitcoms....every now and then, esp when ratings were sagging, you would get the "A Very Special.....(insert the name of sit-com)" episode.

The "A Very Special..." tag usually meant that not only was the episode NOT going to be funny, but it was going to deal with serious issues of the 80s, such as a character contemplating an abortion, or someone being addicted to pills, or someone battling alcoholism.

The hallmark of the "A Very Special..." episode was two-fold:

1. The awkward silence before every commercial break (since there was no laugh track)
2. The closing fade-to-black silent shot as the camera pans out.

Sit-coms usually went off the air pretty shortly after the "A Very Special..." episode, but I miss them nonetheless.

*fade to black*
"A very special episode of...." was indeed, the death knell for a sitcom. I would love to have seen these very special episodes:

Head of the Class - After years of repressing bad memories of childhood bullies, Arvid snaps and brings an AK47 to school and threatens to kill everyone. Mr. Moore tries to talk to him about how violence won't solve anything and he is the first to get shot. Arvid then executes each of the other students one at a time then turns the gun on himself.

Perhaps if this episode had aired, there would have been no Columbine tragedy.

Mr. Belvedere - Heather accuses Knob of raping and impregnating her. In a drunken rage, Mr. Belvedere kills Knob but gets off on a technicality in which his green card had expired and it is decided that it would be best to deport him back to England so he is their problem and at the same time, saves tax payer dollars by not prosecuting.

Meanwhile, Kevin, finally beds Heather's friend Angela. He thinks she loves him and is dumb enough to give her all his account numbers and personal information, including his SS#. She drugs him, steals his money and his identity and she and Heather - who never was pregnant - skip the country. It turns out that the two girls are lesbian lovers and all of what happened was an elaborate scheme to get back at her parents for her not being their first child.

And Wesley kills himself and his Mrs. Owens in a science experiment gone awfully wrong.

Square Pegs - It turns out that Weemawee High School is just a front for the largest illegal drug ring in the country and all of the administration, faculty and students are a part of it. The DEA invades the school and the resulting chaos, death and destruction heaped upon the community leaves horrendous mental scars and devastating economic effects for decades. We learn that Muffy is actually an undercover officer who broke the ring. (I chose Muffy as the heroine because Jami Gertz is a babe.)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #50
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

I love the direction this thread has taken, but how in the hell does "Hunter" not get mentioned?

Okay, it was a lame show for the most part, but it was a top 5 program for the duration of it's run for the simple fact that DeeDee McCall appeared in every episode. mmmmm...DeeDee.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote