cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default "Metaphysical Mutations"

So I'm reading another of the Frenchman Michel Houelebecq's novels, entitled "The Elementary Particles." I came across the following splendid passage (fortunately I was able to find it quoted on the Internet so I could easily reproduce it here):

"Metaphysical mutations--that is to say radical, global transformations in the values to which the majority subscribe--are rare in the history of humanity. The rise of Christianity might be cited as an example.

"Once a metaphysical mutation has arisen, it tends to move inexorably toward its logical conclusion. Heedlessly, it sweeps away economic and political systems, aesthetic judgments and social hierarchies. No human agency can halt its progress--nothing except another metaphysical mutation.

"It is a fallacy that such metaphysical mutations gain ground only in weakened or declining societies. When Christianity appeared, the Roman Empire was at the height of its powers: supremely organized, it dominated the known world; its technical and military prowess had no rival. Nonetheless, it had no chance. When modern science appeared, medieval Christianity was a complete, comprehensive system which explained both man and the universe; it was the basis for government, the inspiration for knowledge and art, the arbiter of war as of peace and the power behind the production and distribution of wealth--none of which was sufficient to prevent its downfall."

"The Elementary Particles," Prologue (Vintage 2000).

I think this quote is a great summary of a sublime process. Do you agree? Is Mormonism a metaphysical mutation? Discuss.

By the way, it's stuff like this that make Houelebecq's novels such so sensational. He's very unorthodox, as a novelist. His works are comprised of these pungent little essays amid a story.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote