cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A really stupid question, but with your credentials, would teaching at a prep school be of any interest, or do you intend to enter the dirty field of business, making your millions to retire to become a gentleman skeptic and intellect?
Yes, I'm open to the possibility. The main thing for me is that I'd like to teach what I know from a historical perspective. I can't do that teaching at the Y, or in CES.

PS - For bluegoose: I'm way too much of a skeptic and spiritually dead to be teaching in CES. I've been approached about teaching on a trial basis at the Y (which is how they hire all their teachers) but at this point I just make it easy for them by letting them know they probably wouldn't want me ;-).
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Yes, I'm open to the possibility. The main thing for me is that I'd like to teach what I know from a historical perspective. I can't do that teaching at the Y, or in CES.

PS - For bluegoose: I'm way too much of a skeptic and spiritually dead to be teaching in CES. I've been approached about teaching on a trial basis at the Y (which is how they hire all their teachers) but at this point I just make it easy for them by letting them know they probably wouldn't want me ;-).
Well, actually you're doing us a disservice by not teaching. We need all perspectives.

However, a well-healed prep school might be fun, if you could teach advanced placement classes. For example, my son is thirteen but he'd much enjoy classes you could teach, but he's not in Utah.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #23
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However, a well-healed prep school might be fun, if you could teach advanced placement classes. For example, my son is thirteen but he'd much enjoy classes you could teach, but he's not in Utah.
This is what my friend has decided to do. He's a PhD in math and just finished his first year teaching at a residential high school somewhere back East. He was trying to avoid the headaches associated with university faculty-status, but he's found high school has a different set of headaches. Archaea's right, though, it's an option to consider.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, actually you're doing us a disservice by not teaching. We need all perspectives.
I agree. How can you be so selfish?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #25
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I agree. How can you be so selfish?
A few years back I would have thought this. But then I received a summer research fellowship at BYU (this was 3 summers ago I think) where I and a few other LDS grad students from around the country worked closely with the top ranking profs from the Reli department, and a couple from FARMS.

Without getting into the nitty gritty, let me assure both you and Archaea that the "disservice" is not on my part. That seminar confirmed what I had suspected but that the idealist in me didn't see, namely, that the dept will never be anything other than a glorified seminary program. The historical-critical approach to sacred texts is NOT welcome there, beyond a very touched up, patronizing version of it. This could change but it will take a long time.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
A few years back I would have thought this. But then I received a summer research fellowship at BYU (this was 3 summers ago I think) where I and a few other LDS grad students from around the country worked closely with the top ranking profs from the Reli department, and a couple from FARMS.

Without getting into the nitty gritty, let me assure both you and Archaea that the "disservice" is not on my part. That seminar confirmed what I had suspected but that the idealist in me didn't see, namely, that the dept will never be anything other than a glorified seminary program. The historical-critical approach to sacred texts is NOT welcome there, beyond a very touched up, patronizing version of it. This could change but it will take a long time.
I was actually kidding, trying to poke Arch a little. I say do what ever you feel like doing, without running afoul of the church spies (of course, need I even add this?).

I actually dropped out of seminary. Maybe that's my rpoblem.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of them, creek. One of them.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
One of them, creek. One of them.
Good point. Thanks for keeping me where I need to be (my wife will be glad to know that someone fills her spot during the day).
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was actually kidding, trying to poke Arch a little. I say do what ever you feel like doing, without running afoul of the church spies (of course, need I even add this?).

Couldn't one smuggle oneself, act the part and then gradually ease the good stuff on in?