cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 05-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Like the word/concept "chez" in french,
vous? or chez?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
vous? or chez?
Chez. Like Chez vous, or Chez nous, or chez vous autres (for you quebecois fans in the audience, and forgive the lack of proper punctuation). These terms just don't translate directly into english without extra words, and are very handy. Just like Y'all.

As you may have noticed, it was also supposed to be a comment on the language that y'all speak in Texas (I know you're not from TX, but go with me here).
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Pardon me. It's been a long time.
You know, I spent my whole growing up thinking it was spelled y'all. Then I had some English major convince me it was ya'll, and I changed it. I shoulda known to trust my roots.

The history of y'all, per Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y'all
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

CHC, after doing all of that work why would you even consider not finishing that PhD?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

talk about a thread hijack of epic proportions we have a scholar and religious aficionado gracing us with his presence and all we can talk about is the correct spelling of Y'all?

I am surprised Seattleute is not on here chastising all of you.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Entered a Ph.D. program in Religious Studies at UNC Chapel Hill. Currently, I am taking time off from school, but have finished my Masters degree and all coursework toward the Ph. D.

I am now managing a business that my wife and I own and she operates (in Lindon). I also participate in the business, offering one of its services. Between this, I am able to stay home (I live in south Utah County) and take care of my 4 year old daughter. When she goes into first grade, I plan on pursuing any teaching opportunities I can find, though I'm probably limited to Utah Valley for those opportunities. Whether any of this means that I write a dissertation and finish my Ph.D. is still undecided.
That's really cool about your school work! My father just finished his PhD at the age of 46 and he feels like a new man. As you can imagine after a bachelors 2 masters and now his PhD. Good luck on finishing it! What your business and what is the service you do?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #17
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
CHC, after doing all of that work why would you even consider not finishing that PhD?
Well, writing a diss is really no small matter. It'll probably take a full-time chunk of about 2.5 to 3 years to finish. I'm not one of these that can whip a dissertation out in a year to a year and a half. The second issue is that if I can teach what I want to teach without playing the academic games (research > publishing > tenure) I'd be more than happy. In fact, the view from the inside of academia was kind of scary at times, and I question whether becoming a prof would be good for my family in the long run. Third, even if I wished, I don't have much of an opportunity to play the academic game in Utah Valley. UVSC would pretty much be my only shot and that is a small basket to put your eggs in. And if I'd like to keep my family intact, which I do, and allow my wife to live her dream, which I do, then this is where it's at for me. Oh, and fourth, I can't and/or won't teach at the Y. Not religion, anyhow. And there are too many Mormons doing real classics programs to have any hope of a career in the classics dept, I think.

But hell, I'm just glad to have gotten the education I did. It changed my life for the better, for a huge number of complicated reasons involving both myself and my family, and I'll be forever glad I did it. Teaching NT, Early Judaism, and OT lectures and recitations was one of the highlights of my life as well. But, who knows, anything can happen, and time will tell.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

A really stupid question, but with your credentials, would teaching at a prep school be of any interest, or do you intend to enter the dirty field of business, making your millions to retire to become a gentleman skeptic and intellect?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Oh, and fourth, I can't and/or won't teach at the Y. Not religion, anyhow.
I didn't see anything in your statement about not wanting to teach seminary though. I hear Springville High School may be looking for a release-time teacher next year. Plus CES has great medical benefits - a real drawing point for a self-employed young family with small children.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I didn't see anything in your statement about not wanting to teach seminary though. I hear Springville High School may be looking for a release-time teacher next year. Plus CES has great medical benefits - a real drawing point for a self-employed young family with small children.
Plus there may be a killer donut stipend.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote