cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default Oh yeah, I like sports. I just don't like BYU sports.

I have two degrees from Utah.

But I'm not about to come to a message board with "cougar" its name and talk smack on the Cougs. It's your house.

Nice point about Solon's boy-fixation, MRD. It always freaks my students out when we talk about ancient Greek pederasty. No matter how much we think we know about those people, when it comes down to it, we don't know all that much.

I chose the name Solon because he was one of the Seven Sages of ancient Greece. The other names are a little too difficult to pronounce.

Although the Greeks disagreed on the exact makeup of the seven, here's one list:

Solon, Bias, Chilon, Thales, Cleobulus, Pittacus, and Periander.

The Solon who lived in Athens in the 6th century BC laid the foundations for democracy and abolished debt slavery.

But yes, he was into poetry and little boys, and that's where my admiration ends.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Solon

Default Mmmmmmmm Baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm the token Ute moron. Unlike everyone else here, I didn't go to school to get an education. I just went to play baseball.
I'm sure you pursued your "baseball education." Not all learning is done in a classroom.

I can't wait for Opening Day. It's better than Christmas.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm sure you pursued your "baseball education." Not all learning is done in a classroom.

Who is your baseball team?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

A Ute and a baseball fan?

Mike, thanks a million times over for providing us with this forum.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Solon

Default I've always liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Who is your baseball team?
Boston. I know, it sounds like I'm a front-runner, but growing up in Salt Lake, they ran stories on Bruce Hurst every other day. So, I've followed them for 20+ years now.

Since I moved to PA, I've started following the Pirates for an NL team to root for. They're awful, but fun to watch.

You?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Boston. I know, it sounds like I'm a front-runner, but growing up in Salt Lake, they ran stories on Bruce Hurst every other day. So, I've followed them for 20+ years now.

Since I moved to PA, I've started following the Pirates for an NL team to root for. They're awful, but fun to watch.

You?
The Pirates? Being an Orioles fan, that cuts me deep. I still have nightmares about the 1979 World Series.

I can deal with you being a Red Sox fan. At least you don't follow the cult of the Bronx.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The Pirates? Being an Orioles fan, that cuts me deep. I still have nightmares about the 1979 World Series.

I can deal with you being a Red Sox fan. At least you don't follow the cult of the Bronx.
Camden is a special place. And I'm glad we agree on the AL East's Evil Empire.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You?
The Reds are my team. They're at least better than the Pirates. I have heard that PNC Park is a terrific sports venue. I'd like to get there some time.

Il Pad and Solon may appreciate my experience at Camden Yards. In the Summer of '04 I attended a game at Camden where the O's played the Red Sox. It turned out to be one of Nomar Garciaparra's last games as a Boston player. It was a fun game and I enjoyed seeing the bottom-dwelling Orioles defeat the eventual World Series champs that day.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The Reds are my team. They're at least better than the Pirates. I have heard that PNC Park is a terrific sports venue. I'd like to get there some time.

Il Pad and Solon may appreciate my experience at Camden Yards. In the Summer of '04 I attended a game at Camden where the O's played the Red Sox. It turned out to be one of Nomar Garciaparra's last games as a Boston player. It was a fun game and I enjoyed seeing the bottom-dwelling Orioles defeat the eventual World Series champs that day.
Camden Yards is terrific. I love it there. I was there on Sept. 6, 1995 for Rip's game #2,131. I was at the All-Star game in '93.

Boog's BBQ is awesome.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 AM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Boston.
That makes two of us then.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote