cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road
Default I am wuapinmon

Hello,

I'm 35, Southern, convert at 17, mission to Costa Rica, married, 3 kids, PhD in Latin-American Lit, teach Spanish at Coker College in South Carolina.

I am a CUF member, but I was never here before the schism, and I barely posted on CB as "timsfriendmac."

I enjoy CUF quite a bit, and, as an outsider, I've noticed that many of them talk fondly, but conflictedly, about MikeWaters and his intellect and personality.

Since I had no dog in the fight/rift that occurred, I have been reading some of the postings on this forum, and think that the Cuffies are right......there's some serious intellectual power here.

I don't begin to know what happened between everyone....all I know is that I had a dream tonight that I should come here and post a message like this and see if there's some way that people can reconcile. I know in my own life that sometimes I've had to take the first step towards reconciliation, even though I felt I was right and justified and that the others had wronged me.

I hope this message is well-received....I don't know anyone here at all, nor do I really know anyone at CUF....I just felt impressed (by what, I can't say) to come here and say this.

I will post from time to time, and I look forward to contributing to your conversations.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Don't feel bad if Waters doesn't extend you the hand of fellowhip despite the nice things you said. He treats everyone with indifference or like crap. He's still a worthy intrerlocutor.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
wuapinmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Don't feel bad if Waters doesn't extend you the hand of fellowhip despite the nice things you said. He treats everyone with indifference or like crap. He's still a worthy intrerlocutor.
I have no expectations....it's rare that I feel impressed to do something. I acted on the impression, but I have no plan beyond saying what I did and hoping that it's taken as sincerely as I meant it.

On a side note, that Auster trilogy is one of my favorites, and I plan to teach it in a course on detective fiction in Fall 2010.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm doing what I've always done for a long time: post here about what is on my mind.

Why did I break from Cougarboard? Because I wasn't allowed to post about what is on my mind.

The audience has always been small. It's probably as small now as it has ever been. That's ok.

Perhaps people that know me so well that they know what I am going to say before I say it, do not need to listen anymore. Nor do I need to tell them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I think currently the welcome wagon is broken down back at the shop, and the mechanic is out. But I think anyone who remains here must get something out of it. I hope you find something as well.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This is like evolution. One group of the species is going to stay in the water, the other is going to crawl onto land. And never shall the twain meet again.

We have separate destinies.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I would also like to add that CG, as it is now, is much more than just me. There are several others. Ok, several may be an exaggeration. There are a few others who have hung around.

In other words, this zoo has more than one animal. When you are done looking at the animals, well, you do what everyone does. You leave the zoo. But the animals, you see, never leave the zoo. The reason zoos are not open at night is because of exactly what I said: animals never leave the zoo. Whether alive or dead.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
wuapinmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is like evolution. One group of the species is going to stay in the water, the other is going to crawl onto land. And never shall the twain meet again.
What about Star Trek IV?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #9
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Wuapinmon gave us helpful information about where to stay in New Orleans that would keep us from getting murdered. And full of beignets. And Marsupial got kissed by some Irish dude. Two out of three is not bad.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
wuapinmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Wuapinmon gave us helpful information about where to stay in New Orleans that would keep us from getting murdered. And full of beignets. And Marsupial got kissed by some Irish dude. Two out of three is not bad.
Glad I could help.....how was the trip?