cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road
Red face Bruincoug

I am not an alum of BYU and I don't live in Utah -- but I live and die by BYU Football, the result somehow of parents who met at BYU but neither of whom care too much for football.

At some point, my family moved to Provo when I was growing up and we had season tickets. My mom would knit, my dad wore a hat with a flatbrim and occasionally got riled up about pass interference, my grandpa would tell people to sit down and my grandma would watch my mom knit. We had 4 tickets -- and I jockeyed with my siblings to take the place of any one the above four who couldn't make it to a game. Thank goodness for weddings and funerals. Despite the fact that none of the grown-ups were really passionate fans, I became a die-hard early.

I studied Philosophy, German and East Asian Studies as an undergraduate and then went to law school. Now I practice law in Southern California (although I've already made a few laps around the Asia Expat circuit). It's been a good life, I guess. I'm nearly 30, unmarried, and a recovering bloggernacle addict. Lately, I've become a bit more hopeless than usual at being Mormon, self-medicating with more work than ever and lots of poker-playing on the side.

I have a strong Libertarian streak and am theologically quite liberal -- probably far too liberal for my current Stake and Ward.

If Cormac McCarthy were a religion, I would probably convert. I don't read much philosophy anymore, but I have been reading a lot of history (currently, early England, Shackleton & Massacre at Mountain Meadows on the bedstand). Someday, I will run away to cabin in Montana a pound out books on a typewriter aided by copious amounts of whiskey. Or, maybe I'll find a Mormon girl to marry -- I'm back and forth on this.

I nearly never post on Cougarboard, but I've been a reader off and on for years. The MWCBoard is also a favorite. Recently referred here by another one-time Cougarboarder.

Last edited by Bruincoug; 10-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome. It sounds like you will be right at home here.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
I am not an alum of BYU and I don't live in Utah -- but I live and die by BYU Football, the result somehow of parents who met at BYU but neither of whom care too much for football.

At some point, my family moved to Provo when I was growing up and we had season tickets. My mom would knit, my dad wore a hat with a flatbrim and occasionally got riled up about pass interference, my grandpa would tell people to sit down and my grandma would watch my mom knit. We had 4 tickets -- and I jockeyed with my siblings to take the place of any one the above four who couldn't make it to a game. Thank goodness for weddings and funerals. Despite the fact that none of the grown-ups were really passionate fans, I became a die-hard early.

I studied Philosophy, German and East Asian Studies as an undergraduate and then went to law school. Now I work for a practice law in Southern California (although I've already made a few laps around the Asia Expat circuit). It's been a good life so far. I'm nearly 30, unmarried, and a recovering bloggernacle addict. Lately, I've become a bit more hopeless than usual at being Mormon, self-medicating with more work than ever and lots of poker-playing on the side.

If Cormac McCarthy were a religion, I would probably convert. I don't read much philosophy anymore, but I have been reading a lot of history (currently, early England, Shackleton & Massacre at Mountain Meadows on the bedstand). Someday, I will run away to cabin in Montana a pound out books on a typewriter aided by copious amounts of whiskey. Or, maybe I'll find a Mormon girl to marry -- I'm back and forth on this.

I nearly never post on Cougarboard, but I've been a reader off and on for years. The MWCBoard is also a favorite. Recently referred here by another one-time Cougarboarder.
Hi. Welcome. I'm glad you're not a Trojan.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Bruincoug, welcome.

What part of OC?

PS stfu, barbaragordon!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
PS stfu, barbaragordon!
Eff you, DB, and your little Trojans, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Orange County lawyers are getting to be a dime a dozen around here.

Welcome, anyway.

What kind of law?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Bruincoug

Quote:
Bruincoug, welcome.

What part of OC?
Irvine.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
Bruincoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Orange County lawyers are getting to be a dime a dozen around here.

Welcome, anyway.

What kind of law?
Thanks, anyway. American.

Last edited by Bruincoug; 10-10-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
Irvine.
You are in the Ranch Branch?

I think Jennerstein is in that branch, too.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Bruincoug

Quote:
You are in the Ranch Branch?

I think Jennerstein is in that branch, too.
Not ignoring you -- but I prefer to preserve some sense of anonymity online. I have known Jennerstein for a while.