cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
HighHorse

HighHorse is on a distinguished road
Default HighHorse Intro

I have been a member of the board for a while, but have seldom posted anything. Just trying to figure out how to do it on this board.

Religion: LDS. Raised Mormon from a long line of Mormons. I do not believe something simply because it is in the scripture. I think Prophets are not infallible, but generally are inspired to give us what we deserve at the time. My favorite general authority when I grew up was Marion G Romney. I like J Reuben Clark on the political end.

Politics: Libertarian. I have been active in the Utah Republican Party but no longer have any trust in that party to to accomplish my political ends. We now have two parties dedicated to big government. Dems are the best at increasing the size of government inside our borders, and Republicans are most effective at increasing our government outside of our borders.

Personal life: I am nearly as old as BYU71. 5 adult kids. 14, soon to be 16 grandkids. I live in Washington County Utah and love the winters but try to get out of the heat in the summer.

I don't attack or call people names on Internet boards (you're an idiot if you do) , but I seem good at pissing people off anyway. Especially Republicans and traditional Mormons. Go figure.

Last edited by HighHorse; 07-14-2008 at 09:37 PM.
HighHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
I have been a member of the board for a while, but have seldom posted anything. Just trying to figure out how to do it on this board.

Religion: LDS. Raised Mormon from a long line of Mormons. I do not believe something simply because it is in the scripture. I think Prophets are not infallible, but generally are inspired to give us what we deserve at the time. My favorite general authority when I grew up was Marion G Romney. I like J Reuben Clark on the political end.

Politics: Libertarian. I have been active in the Utah Republican Party but no longer have any trust in that party to to accomplish my political ends. We now have two parties dedicated to big government. Dems are the best at increasing the size of government inside our borders, and Republicans are most effective at increasing our government outside of our borders.

Personal life: I am nearly as old as BYU71. 5 adult kids. 14, soon to be 16 grandkids. I live in Washington County Utah and love the winters but try to get out of the heat in the summer.

I don't attack or call people names on Internet boards (you're an idiot if you do) , but I seem good at pissing people off anyway. Especially Republicans and traditional Mormons. Go figure.

Welcome. I think you will be a good addition.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, HH. We've clashed a bit over on CB, but I think it was mostly because of the rapid-fire posting style over there.

Washington County, eh? I've heard there are still people down there who have sworn not to talk about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I have no idea if this is so, but I find the idea cool in a wacked-out conspiracy kind of way.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-14-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Bienvenidos, Caballo Alto!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you do have one kick-ass avatar.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road

heh high horse. Welcome. You must be REALLY old. I only have 8 grand kids and I'm real old. Washington county is nice. Lived there 14 years and raised 6 kids.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
HighHorse

HighHorse is on a distinguished road
Default MM Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Washington County, eh? I've heard there are still people down there who have sworn not to talk about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I have no idea if this is so, but I find the idea cool in a wacked-out conspiracy kind of way.
I had a couple of ancestors in the MM Massacre. The legend is that they all swore an oath of secrecy. One of my grandfathers called his family around him before his death, held out his hands and told the," these old hands have never shed innocent blood". They never knew exactly what he meant by it because he was there at the massacre.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Welcome to CG Highhorse. Once again somebody from CB who has stood apart from the pack has jumped to CG.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote