cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Well then, I direct the original question to you. In those 100s of Phd apps, what would you typically consider to be a good score on the GRE? If what I've got isn't good enough, I probably will take it again, unless I decide to jump ship and join forces with the lawyers.
I may not be that helpful. I can tell you what PhDs programs in finance or economics look for but I am assuming your thinking of a "Classics" or "Biblical Studies" program. Econ and Finance programs heavily weight the quantitative portion. Back when it had the analytical section that was a heavy weight as well because it was the best predictor of post PhD publishing success. I would guess that a "Classics" program would more heavily weight the Verbal score. I could be wrong though. If forced to guess, I think your guantitative score is probably quite high for a top Classics program and your verbal may be on the low side. However, your verbal may be good enough for a solid Classics program. I looked up an article on JSTOR and mean Verbal GRE scores for Classics was around 600 in the late 80s although it had fallen considerable from the 70s (see: "How the Mighty are Falling: in the Classical Journal, 1990). Sorry I don't have up to date numbers. Chinocoug was mentioning average scores across disciplines the other day so you might see if he knows. Finally, I don't know how much Classics programs weight the GRE relative to letters of rec, courses taken, and grades.

Last edited by pelagius; 07-09-2008 at 05:49 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I may not be that helpful. I can tell you what PhDs programs in finance or economics look for but I am assuming your thinking of a "Classics" or "Biblical Studies" program. Econ and Finance programs heavily weight the quantitative portion. Back when it had the analytical section that was a heavy weight as well because it was the best predictor of post PhD publishing success. I would guess that a "Classics" program would more heavily weight the Verbal score. I could be wrong though. If forced to guess, I think your guantitative score is probably quite high for a top Classics program and your verbal may be on the low side. However, your verbal may be good enough for a solid Classics program. I looked up an article on JSTOR and mean Verbal GRE scores for Classics was around 600 in the late 80s although it had fallen considerable from the 70s (see: "How the Mighty are Falling: in the Classical Journal, 1990). Also, I don't know how much Classics programs weight the GRE relative to letters of rec, courses taken, and grades.
That's about what I'm thinking. Thanks. I'll have to think about what I'll do.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

How did you just take the GRE and know your score already? Is the GRE now like one of those Internet IQ tests?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #14
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
How did you just take the GRE and know your score already? Is the GRE now like one of those Internet IQ tests?
It's all on computer. The written section will be graded in the next two weeks or so, but the other two sections are already graded.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't know that I did that well. 710 in Quantitative and 570 in Verbal.

Those of you affiliated with post-graduate studies or who otherwise feel qualified to comment-- is that good enough?
That's a solid score, A-A. Whether it's "good enough" depends on what degree programs you're considering and where. I also think your background is going to be a bonus. Obviously, GRE isn't the only thing they look at.

I think you could probably bump your score if you took it again, but then what do I know...I took the LSAT with my fly open. :-)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
It's all on computer. The written section will be graded in the next two weeks or so, but the other two sections are already graded.
Do they still do it where if you get answers wrong the questions get easier and if you get them correct the questions get harder?

I remember taking it and all of the sudden I got a really easy question. I figured I must have gotten the last 5 questions wrong to get one that easy.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Do they still do it where if you get answers wrong the questions get easier and if you get them correct the questions get harder?

I remember taking it and all of the sudden I got a really easy question. I figured I must have gotten the last 5 questions wrong to get one that easy.
Yup.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
All I know is that when I took the GRE back when the Analytical section was not written, I got an 800. So take that. I am logical beyond belief.

those scores sound fine, about what I had, good enough with good grades.
Damnit I got a 790.... You beat me by 10 points! What are you chinese? I say that because during my grad school year I worked for the program in biomedical sciences at the U of Michigan http://www.med.umich.edu/pibs/. We got at least 1000 applications a year from chinese students that received 800 on each all three parts of the test. They would bring some of them out to interview and they could barely speak english. It got pretty obvious that they were all cheating.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #19
All-American

I got the official score yesterday, by the way. In addition to the other scores, I got a 5.5 out of 6 on the writing.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I got the official score yesterday, by the way. In addition to the other scores, I got a 5.5 out of 6 on the writing.
That's a nice writing score.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote