cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Attending the U cheering for the Y...

I just don't get it... I can see being a BYU fan when BYU plays somebody else, but the U is your school.

This is my problem with the U. The campus experience (its "commuter" nature) does not do enough to create nostalgia and loyalty.

I became a big Ute fan because I decided to get really involved at school. I was involved with the largest student group on campus.... drum roll.... LDSSA! It is sad to me that LDSSA doesn't even gather enough people and create enough of an experience to "convert" people like you.

I understand tradition... I can see why a guy would root for BYU even though they did not go there (I have friends who root for ND because their 3rd cousin is Irish). But I still wish that the U could produce a more endearing experience.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps Pride is one of the very, very few who wanted to go to BYU but wasn't smart enough to get in and decided not to hate BYU for rejecting him.

Isn't that what most zoobs claim? That LDS Ute fans hate BYU because they couldn't get into BYU so they had to settle for Utah and joined the masses of other castoffs?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:44 AM   #13
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride
i like to let all the lds utah fans know that they are BYU boosters due to the fact that they are tithe payers.
I guess you are a Utah booster as well (assuming you pay taxes).
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
I live in your hometown? did you go to Olympus?
Yessir I did. I graduated in 1994
Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #15
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

I just don't get it... I can see being a BYU fan when BYU plays somebody else, but the U is your school.

This is my problem with the U. The campus experience (its "commuter" nature) does not do enough to create nostalgia and loyalty.

I became a big Ute fan because I decided to get really involved at school. I was involved with the largest student group on campus.... drum roll.... LDSSA! It is sad to me that LDSSA doesn't even gather enough people and create enough of an experience to "convert" people like you.

I understand tradition... I can see why a guy would root for BYU even though they did not go there (I have friends who root for ND because their 3rd cousin is Irish). But I still wish that the U could produce a more endearing experience.
My U experience was fantastic. I did LDSSA. I rented with 7 other guys an house on 3rd south and 13th east (yes I woke up at 8 am for a 8:30 class) I liked my student ward and all the people I went to school with. I went to europe for a summer with U (easily my best college experience) where I am still friends with several of the people on that trip. I went to every football game and basketball game. I loved institute. In fact, I am still active today because of one teacher that helped me resolve a lot of the issues I have with the church. I honestly think that if I went to byu I would still have a lot of questions. Not only that, institute was fun and didnt require that I have to take tests on gospel principles. Frankly, I am not sure how I could have had a better experience anywhere else. I guess the lone exception would be ND where I hear the dorm houses get to play rec football in pads and the championship game of the rec league gets to play in the house that rockne built.

I guess college is what you make of it. I knew people that got married a year (or less) after their mission and frankly how would the college experience be if you were married any different at byu? I also knew those that were just going to to college to get a job and not to learn. Those people are not gonna get an experience any different at Byu besides having to live mission rules and shaving everyday.

Although one thing I do wish was at the U when I was there is the MUSS. That looks like a great time. However, I was at the U when Majerus was at his peak and Van Horn, Doleac, Miller, Jensen so I can't complain that much.

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 04-27-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

when it comes to sports, i never looked at BYU vs. Utah being school vs. school. it was always, the bad guys wore red and the good guys wore blue! it was more of a team thing. now that i'm attending the u, that really hasn't changed.

as far as being involved in school, i as well was in LDSSA, in fact that's where i met my wife. LDSSA is actually doing really well these days. and greek row is really pissed off about it.

i think the u produces a great experience. there are a lot of passionate fans up there and it's great. as for me, the line was drawn in the sand a long time ago. i will always be a Cougar.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Perhaps Pride is one of the very, very few who wanted to go to BYU but wasn't smart enough to get in and decided not to hate BYU for rejecting him.

Isn't that what most zoobs claim? That LDS Ute fans hate BYU because they couldn't get into BYU so they had to settle for Utah and joined the masses of other castoffs?

ha ha! i actually went to "the BYU" for a semester and really enjoyed my time there. you're probably right about me not being smart enough to stick around though
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #18
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
Yessir I did. I graduated in 1994
nice. i graduated in 1999. you went to school with a lot of my family.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #19
pedrotea

pedrotea

Quote:
like it or not, there are a lot of us Cougars going to school at the u that are diehard BYU fans.. we feel very good about it too! Somebody has got to spread some light up there! i live in your hometown? did you go to Olympus?
This is what I found while I was at the U also. Yes, I graduated from the U and continue(d) to be an avid BYU fan. And yes I was accepted to BYU and could have gone there, however the Chem Engineering program at the U was better at the time. (I do have to admit that by attending the U my hatred for all thing Ute was tempered.)
pedrotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #20
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
nice. i graduated in 1999. you went to school with a lot of my family.
Whoa there sailor... I graduated in 1998... When you were in LDSSA, were you in Sigma Gamma Chi? If so, what chapter? Was Mrs. Pride in Lambda Delta Sigma?
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote