cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus View Post
Enjoy the witty commentary from many - including '71, AA, Adam, Archaea, CC, DDD, Gnapper, IPU, LPoke, PAC, SeattleUte, Solon and the non A&M OCD version of Waters.
This list is like one of McCarthy's lists.....some glaring omissions and a whole bunch of folks who don't deserve to be on it.

PS.....why did you alphebetize your list? If it is because you have OCD, do you use public restrooms?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This list is like one of McCarthy's lists.....some glaring omissions and a whole bunch of folks who don't deserve to be on it.

PS.....why did you alphebetize your list? If it is because you have OCD, do you use public restrooms?
Technically, '71s full moniker name is BYU71, so its not completely accurate. I had the same thought, wondering if the user list page for "B" names was down when he was compiling his list. Apparently not. I was an intentional omission.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
She is too skinny (her face looks gaunt), and she looks like she was given a swirlie in a toilet full of tan spray.
I'm crushed. I'll have you know I gained three pounds for that shoot and that's a real tan. That's my natural hair color, too.

(Don't mind me. I'm just trying to be witty to make CP's list.)

CP: I like your name. I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?

ps. I alphabetized my list of suggested names for Marsupial's offspring, so ignore TD's scoffs. Ordering lists in informal settings is perfectly normal. Really.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #14
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm crushed. I'll have you know I gained three pounds for that shoot and that's a real tan. That's my natural hair color, too.

CP: I like your name. I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?

ps. I alphabetized my list of suggested names for Marsupial's offspring, so ignore TD's scoffs. Ordering lists in informal settings is perfectly normal. Really.
Last time I talked with a native Latin speaker, he used a /k/. . .

I've been taught that C=/k/. It works for me, since C. is used as an abbreviation for Gaius, and given the lunate sigma of Greek, it is easy to see why C could have adopted the /s/ sound. The letter K looks to me like a Greek influence.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am hurt that you don't fine me witty, but you left off YOhio and included SU so you must be drunk.

Great to have you in a non-lurking status.
Seconded.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #16
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've always been curious whether ceteris should be pronounced with a /k/ or an /s/ at the beginning. I think generally ceteris paribus is pronounced with a /k/, but in et cetera it's pronounced with a /s/. This makes no sense. What say you?
I was taught it's with a /k/, but I dunno. Before aversion therapy eliminated certain inclinations, I used to daydream in Larry Wimmer's Econ class of starting a mobile gourmet dining enterprise named Cater Us Fabulous.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I was taught it's with a /k/, but I dunno. Before aversion therapy eliminated certain inclinations, I used to daydream in Larry Wimmer's Econ class of starting a mobile gourmet dining enterprise named Cater Us Fabulous.
lol! I like it.

Pronunciation in link below.

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...eris%20paribus
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:

Whatever. Your lists are annoying, banal, mediocre, uninspiring and vapid.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Speaking of clever names for commerce, when we were in vegas recently for the Vegas Bowl, we saw a hair salon called "Curl Up & Dye." The guy inside looked like Criss Angel, so I think the place catered to the Hot Topic crowd.

Previously, I knew of a place called "Garden of Eatin'," which I did not like so much.