cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I never had a single calling while at BYU. I gave a talk once.

I never turned down a calling, nor turned down an invitation to speak.

Should I have been kicked out of school?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #32
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Read the bishop's quote, "he didn't even come in for a calling."
Where can I read this? All I've seen are comments from the kid's dad and roommate. I've been under the impression the bishop hasn't commented. If he has, and that was the best he could offer for the EE's withdrawal, then I agree the bishop is out of line.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Where can I read this? All I've seen are comments from the kid's dad and roommate. I've been under the impression the bishop hasn't commented. If he has, and that was the best he could offer for the EE's withdrawal, then I agree the bishop is out of line.
It was the dad quoting the bishop. From Trib article:

Quote:
"They said he didn't participate in the ward enough, hadn't been to church enough and hadn't gone in and asked for a calling," Kenneth Walton said. "All the stake president would say was, 'I hope you don't hurt your son by making a big issue out of this.' "
Quoting from memory, especially one as old as mine, sometimes causes insertions which aren't there. I especially like the veiled threat by Economics Professor and dick stake president James Kearl. Unfortunately, he appears to be right minded on economics but wrong headed on athletics.

http://fhss.byu.edu/econ/faculty/kearl/

Last edited by Archaea; 02-03-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Read the bishop's quote, "he didn't even come in for a calling."

Gime a break. He's probably going to his girlfriend's ward, and with traveling for sports, doesn't really want a calling. You can be active without having a calling for crying out loud. The bishop is a dick.
I am going to reserve judgement. I don't doubt there could be a Bishop that has much stricter interpretations than I do.

It is his calling and he brings his beliefs to the calling as do all Bishops. If we have what has been said, I am more upset with the system than I am the Bishop.

I don't care for people questionning my beliefs and so while I may have another opinion, I won't condemn him for his. Someone put him in this position. Apparently no one who counts is telling him he is wrong.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #35
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am going to reserve judgement. I don't doubt there could be a Bishop that has much stricter interpretations than I do.

It is his calling and he brings his beliefs to the calling as do all Bishops. If we have what has been said, I am more upset with the system than I am the Bishop.

I don't care for people questionning my beliefs and so while I may have another opinion, I won't condemn him for his. Someone put him in this position. Apparently no one who counts is telling him he is wrong.

Well, it looks like a flawed system. A guy can yank an endorsement midstream even though it's not "chastity" based. What's up with that. That system needs revision.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #36
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
It was the dad quoting the bishop. From Trib article:

Quoting from memory, especially one as old as mine, sometimes causes insertions which aren't there. I especially like the veiled threat by Economics Professor and dick stake president James Kearl.
I got into it with on of Kearl's Econ TA's. I was in the lab working on a problem and got help from a TA who proceeded to workout the entire problem for me. So I turned in my homework. Picked up my assignment a week later and the problem the TA did for me was wrong. I was livid. I spotted the TA in the lab and went up to him and told him thanks for nothing. He told me, "Sorry. I didn't grade your paper." I couldn't believe that this was his response.

So I took it up with Kearl who sided with his TA and basically dismissed what I his TA had done and said as if he hires only competent and the best TAs so he wouldn't have done something like that.

I can completely see him siding with the Bishop without even investigating the issue himself here.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 AM   #37
Archaea

I can also see that he's not loyal to BYU sports, here's where he got his undergrad:

Quote:

B.A., Mathematics and Economics, Utah State University, 1971
He thereafter went to MIT for economics.

So he's an Aggie with a hatred for BYU sports.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #38
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me play my brother's advocate.

The kids knows of the requirement to maintain an EE, just like every other student. Did the Bishop just spring this on him? None of us know the Bishop's side to this and probably never will. As Mike has pointed out many times, tithing funds subsidize tuition in a very significant way (would it be unreasonable to say that BYU students pay only 10% of the costs invovled?). We all know that supply does not meet demand for those wanting to go to BYU.

Then why should a kid, regardless of whether or not he/she is an athlete, be allowed to attend if he/she cannot maintain an EE? It's very simple and the easiest aspect of staying qualified to attend the university. Or is much of this just about how it appears to the outside world?

I have little sympathy for people who can't follow simple instructions. Kind of like those folks in Florida in 2000 who wanted to vote for Al Gore but ended up voting for Pat Buchanan.

I guess this puts me firmly in the mullah camp.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #39
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

The kids knows of the requirement to maintain an EE, just like every other student. Did the Bishop just spring this on him? None of us know the Bishop's side to this and probably never will. As Mike has pointed out many times, tithing funds subsidize tuition in a very significant way (would it be unreasonable to say that BYU students pay only 10% of the costs invovled?). We all know that supply does not meet demand for those wanting to go to BYU.

Then why should a kid, regardless of whether or not he/she is an athlete, be allowed to attend if he/she cannot maintain an EE? It's very simple and the easiest aspect of staying qualified to attend the university. Or is much of this just about how it appears to the outside world?

I have little sympathy for people who can't follow simple instructions. Kind of like those folks in Florida in 2000 who wanted to vote for Al Gore but ended up voting for Pat Buchanan.

I hope you aren't a mullah or I would have to fall in that camp too. I support the Bishop's right to do what he did. I do not feel I have the right to attack him personally. He didn't molest a child after all.

I do feel I have the right to disagree though with what he did. I look at it as having a difference of opinion. If in fact this kid is attending 50% of his meetings I find it hard to believe all Bishops wouldn't give this kid a EE. If this is the case, then you can't say EE is a standard that all kids are held the same too.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

Can't you see the "anti-athlete" type seeing this as a power struggle? I can.

I can believe it wasn't a morality issue. And to pull it midsemester is obscene. You work on some type of probation. I've just seen some of those weird actions from BYU bishops, so the Drew story sounds very plausible to me. Only six times last semester? That still makes him active under Church standards. Why would the BYU bishop have that sort of power? It seems it should be decided upon by the home bishop not some rent-a-bishop from Springville Utah of mullah fame.
Wayne Childs (435) 865-6608 295 N 325th E,Kanarraville, UT 84742

Where is that? What is SAAS in Utah?

Last edited by Archaea; 02-03-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote