cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 08-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Rutter and Wilberg. Two choral arrangers who must by rule never ever be turned down or rejected by any self-respecting group. UtahDan, wasn't the arrangement you're referring to sung by the BYU men's chorus in, oh, say the Fall semester of 1993?
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Ohio, is this your attempt to "out" me...

as having been in said Mens Chorus in 1993? The answer to your question is yes. In fact, I have a recording of it.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Rutter and Wilberg. Two choral arrangers who must by rule never ever be turned down or rejected by any self-respecting group. UtahDan, wasn't the arrangement you're referring to sung by the BYU men's chorus in, oh, say the Fall semester of 1993?

Wilberg is wonderful, especially as an arranger and a conducter. A great person as well.

I was in the BYU Music program in the early 1990s. I was in several of the Wilberg concerts and productions(although I can't remember about the fall 1993 for sure) in both Concert Choir & Men's Chorus(as an instrumentalist). I guess that I got on his 'list' and he kept calling me.

Also worth checking out is the 'Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns' cd that came from a musical production that was filmed at BYU for PBS in April 1994.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

It premiered around Thanksgiving time that year.

Some great arrangements of Church Hymns & Folk Music.

Since then BYU Choirs have released many good recordings.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a boys choir at the age of 11 or so in a production of carmina burana. because I was the oldest one in the choir I had to pinch my nads to hit the notes. my career in the boys choir did not last long.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Mike

are you a castrato? :shock:
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yes I am. Just like Lance Armstrong.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:45 AM   #17
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I was in a boys choir at the age of 11 or so in a production of carmina burana. because I was the oldest one in the choir I had to pinch my nads to hit the notes. my career in the boys choir did not last long.

'And then it occurred that maybe a career in music was not for you...'
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I was in the BYU Music program in the early 1990s. I was in several of the Wilberg concerts and productions(although I can't remember about the fall 1993 for sure) in both Concert Choir & Men's Chorus(as an instrumentalist). I guess that I got on his 'list' and he kept calling me.

Also worth checking out is the 'Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns' cd that came from a musical production that was filmed at BYU for PBS in April 1994.
I may have run into you at some point then. UtahDan and I were both in Men's Chorus in 93/94, and sang in the Thanksgiving program you referred to. I was also in a few other performing ensembles here and there and so we may have crossed paths at some point in the good ole HFAC.

Good times.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #19
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wilberg and Rutter

I have the Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns CD and listen to it often in the car. "Come Thou Fount" is fun to listen to even though it has gotten so popular that I hear it more than I'd like to.

Tidbit about that hymn: It was removed from the latest edition of the LDS hymnal because it was thought to be too difficult for most members to sing. That seems like a dumb reason to me, but at least it was not removed because someone thought it was "too Protestant." My brother and I had heard a rumor to that effect and so my brother called Michael Moody (then the Church music jefe) and asked him. He told my brother it was because of the difficulty of the song.

Now, on what other sports board can you get information like this?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 AM   #20
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LA, thanks for the historical tidbit....

It was timely, as last Sunday my visiting daughter (a senior at BYU majoring in Media Music) played an arrangment of Come Thou Fount. I asked her why the hymn had been given the hook and she didn't know. I guessed it was because it was thought to be too difficult for a ward to sing (I know that was true of several hymns, including Each Cooing Dove, which I enjoyed as a child because when the fat old women sitting behind us warbled the melody, followed by the old men barking out the echo basso profundo, I laughed so hard it hurt). Armed with this information, I can now lord it over Miss Smartypants who thinks her dad is a cretin in matters musical.

BTW, the arrangement was outstanding, causing a dozen or so members to come up after and ask her where they could get a copy. I was surprised to hear her report that she had made it up as she was playing. I'm glad fifteen years of music lessons are paying off.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote