cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 08-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About Me

You probably all know me, as I've been around the Ute board and at least two BYU boards since about 1998.

First off, I am old. This only recently dawned on me. I graduated from the U. law school in 1982 and have been in L.A. ever since. After a short stint as an entertainment lawyer (yes, I did work for big stars; it was actually quite boring and I left "the industry" after realizing it is full of insufferable people); I became a corporate health care lawyer. Generally, that means I do incredibly interesting but obscure work for hospitals and those who run them. I love my work.

I have the same wife I had back when I was at the U., and three kids. The oldest is serving in the Washington D.C. South Mission, where I expect he'll show up in Utah Dan's or JohnVA's ward sometime soon. I hope they feed him well.

My other two kids are 15 (a boy) and 8 (a girl). People ask why we had them so spread out, and I answer that we had eight pregnancies but only three babies. That usually shuts them up.

I loooove Ute sports and have a healthy respect for BYU sports, although I love nothing better than beating you guys. I also love Scouting (the LDS variety), the youth program generally, hiking, politics, writing about politics, and movies. All of the foregoing are most fun when I do them with my wife and/or kids.

I have a political blog you can find here:

http://www.hedgehogcentral.blogspot.com

Please visit and tell me what you think. As an added incentive, my photo is there.

I'm very active in the Church because my ward is so understaffed they have no choice but to give me callings. When I grow up I want to be as level-headed as Ohio Blue.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
People ask why we had them so spread out, and I answer that we had eight pregnancies but only three babies. That usually shuts them up.

I have an 11 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. 11 months ago we added another son to the fold. People automatically assume that I've been divorced once because of the age gap. I tell them we did it to have an automatic babysitter. In reality, we just had no luck for 8 years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa, you look very cleancut and responsible.

I get haircuts every 4 months. I refuse to go to the barber (make my wife do it). I come back from every vaction with a ratty goatee. and in high school my basketball nickname was "funk" because by sweaty BO was so bad.

And when people find out that I graduated from BYU, the typical response is, "But you're not Mormon, right?"
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Steel, I feel bad for you. You didnt' get lucky for 8 years. I hope that couch was comfortable to sleep on for that long.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Steel, I feel bad for you. You didnt' get lucky for 8 years. I hope that couch was comfortable to sleep on for that long.
LOL. Gives a whole new meaning to my moniker.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Haircuts every 4 months that is crazy. I try to make it a year before I cut my hair. Sometimes I only make it about 8-10 months though. My longest non-haircut stretch was 14 months, I grew a mighty wafro at that time.

I also am opposed to paying someone to cut my hair. Since I have yet to find a woman who is looking for citizenship I have to cut it myself. Thus it is a cycle of 8-12 months growing a wafro and then no hair.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Hey I have a John Rutter album too.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am a huge John Rutter fan

which makes me pretty weird. Most people have never heard of him. I actually own a bunch of his choral CDs. But don't hold that against me.

Steelblue, my favorite question from people who are just meeting me or my wife, when they learn of tha ages of our kids, is this: "Same father?" Always gives me a chuckle.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Rutter rocks

Well, at least figuratively. I love his music. WHen I was choir director in our ward (which fortunately was when our ward was blessed with THREE large and talented singing families, bolstering our choir to about 50 people, 40 or so of whom could actually sing well) we did at least one Rutter song a year. They were difficult but when we nailed them they were inspiring and the choir had a true sense of accomplishment. The Lord Bless You and Keep You (I think that's the titel) is one of my favorite songs of any genre.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default The Lord Bless You and Keep You is one of my favorites as...

well.

His adaptation of the prayer of St. Francis (Lord Make Me an Instrument of Thy Peace) is perhaps the most beautiful piece of worship/spitirtual music I have heard.

Oddly, in my last ward we had an entire cadre in the choir who for some inexplicable reason looked down their collective noses at Rutter so we never did anything by him. :-(