cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old news now, SLTrib winning pulitzer for BYU rape story

I think SLTrib is correct to credit the first BYU student to speak out. She was the one who got the ball rolling by putting herself on the line very publicly.

While it is great that the SLTrib pursued this, the true story is the heroism of the BYU students who publicly came forward and said "I was raped and I was treated like this." BYU had to respond, had to do something, had to show some contrition, and had to change.

I guess it's still up in the air what meaningful change has and will actually occur. BYU is like turning an ocean liner.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Reports of sexual assault are already up at BYU.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think SLTrib is correct to credit the first BYU student to speak out. She was the one who got the ball rolling by putting herself on the line very publicly.

While it is great that the SLTrib pursued this, the true story is the heroism of the BYU students who publicly came forward and said "I was raped and I was treated like this." BYU had to respond, had to do something, had to show some contrition, and had to change.

I guess it's still up in the air what meaningful change has and will actually occur. BYU is like turning an ocean liner.
And she eventually withdrew. So the student who spoke up didn't benefit from the reporting of it.