cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

My question is, who is elegible for this Gov't. hand out?

I mean hell if the Gov't is going to help bail out the people who thought they were so smart when they got those 3 or 5 in 1 arms with the no down zero principle loans, and are now socked up the wazoo with a $2000 plus mortgage and 2-3K in anciliary debt.

What the hell is the incentive for me to continue paying my mortgage, maybe I should just default and let the Gov't help bail me out?

What is anyones incentive to keep paying the monthly bill if uncle sam is there to hand out the $$$$ freely?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You guys are funny with your sacred reverence for being a "Reagan conservative". I was a Reagan conservative in 1980 when it was wise to be a Reagan conservative. The condition of the country and the world is much different 28 years later. In 1980 we needed Reagan trickle down economic policies. That they were once right, does not mean they are going to always be right.

You decided over 20 years ago you liked Reaganesque policies. You have stopped thinking since then.

Look at the rise in the cost of healthcare. Look at the rise in the cost of health insurance. Look at the rise in the cost of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Look at the explosion in the number of people over age 70. Look at the rise of the European Union and China as economic forces.

Don't take it personally guys, but only a fool thinks that the Reagan policies from 1980 are the answer to our problems in 2008. It is a different world which will require different policies to navigate.
That post was a complete nonsequitur, not to mention wholly unclear how Reagan economics applied to anything you just mentioned.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You guys are funny with your sacred reverence for being a "Reagan conservative". I was a Reagan conservative in 1980 when it was wise to be a Reagan conservative. The condition of the country and the world is much different 28 years later. In 1980 we needed Reagan trickle down economic policies. That they were once right, does not mean they are going to always be right.

You decided over 20 years ago you liked Reaganesque policies. You have stopped thinking since then.

Look at the rise in the cost of healthcare. Look at the rise in the cost of health insurance. Look at the rise in the cost of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Look at the explosion in the number of people over age 70. Look at the rise of the European Union and China as economic forces.

Don't take it personally guys, but only a fool thinks that the Reagan policies from 1980 are the answer to our problems in 2008. It is a different world which will require different policies to navigate.
Can you imagine for one moment that some of those events might have resulted from a failure to stick to conservative principles?

You're a great advocate for Obama but you've also either completely immersed yourself in the cause of supporting, ignoring his warts a la Cali, or just don't care about the cost of his programs, figuring you'll be long dead when it's time to pay for them.

Obama is a candidate about you should be more cynical. I don't see the healthy cynicism in things you support. Cynicism about one's own pet projects is also very healthy.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam, How old were you in 1980?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was a Reagan conservative in 1980 when it was wise to be a Reagan conservative.

I was 10 in 1980 and I'm pretty sure I'm older than you.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I was 10 in 1980 and I'm pretty sure I'm older than you.
You mean I'm older than you?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
HighHorse

HighHorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I don't see how he can call himself a Reagan conservative with a straight face.
He doesn't have a straight face.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #18
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road

When was the last time the govt. got involved , and actually HELPED the situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm very much against a bailout. It is DAMAGING to prop up prices. For the real estate market to be healthy, the prices have to move. And they need to move down. The prices had gotten out of control.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean I'm older than you?
Geezer. IIRC you're a year older right?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
When was the last time the govt. got involved , and actually HELPED the situation?
traffic lights and fire departments?