cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't have a big problem with it except that I'd be concerned that when my kid has to play by different rules he doesn't get hammered. Someday he will wind up at a school that gives only one chance, has deadlines, etc. I'd work with him to develop a sense of internal goals and deadlines and time management, which in the final analysis is an extremely valuable skill and ethic.
half of the incoming males at BYU every year do not know anything about time management and deadlines. And they are all lilly white middle-class kids. Not inner city kids.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
half of the incoming males at BYU every year do not know anything about time management and deadlines. And they are all lilly white middle-class kids. Not inner city kids.
The college kids I teach are not as sharp as those at the BYU, but even so there's a lot of panic when I (generally) don't allow do-overs or re-takes. The "I've never gotten a B before" excuse comes out a lot (male and female).
Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
The college kids I teach are not as sharp as those at the BYU, but even so there's a lot of panic when I (generally) don't allow do-overs or re-takes. The "I've never gotten a B before" excuse comes out a lot (male and female).
Don't hurt their self-esteem, Solon. This is America.

I remember enrolling our daughter in an international school and the Irish head mistress commented on how one could always tell the American students; they carried themselves with such confidence.

The next week I read a report on comparing the standardized math test scores for high school students among 10-15 countries. Naturally the U.S. fell toward the bottom of the scale. They also published the results of asking the students how well they thought they did on the test. America was number one.

I guess a lot of it is about expectations.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how many of you attended high school where it was over 75% black and hispanic?

How many of you attended high school where over 90% of the students qualified for free lunch?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how many of you attended high school where it was over 75% black and hispanic?

How many of you attended high school where over 90% of the students qualified for free lunch?
We had one hispanic. The rest of my 2,300 classmates at Brighton High were white. However, the lone Hispanic was kicked out permanently and forced to switch districts when he streaked right through the main hall leading to the front foyer, across the foyer, and out the front door. He was wearing a ski mask and jumped in a car that sped away. But he didn't fool anybody. True story.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Does it count if my wife teaches at one of those schools?

But I would put the numbers at 95% for both.

This is a school district that drives the busses around and picks the families up for Back to School night because so few people can afford to have cars themselves.

NCLB is the absolute worst thing Bush has done.

You cannot hold a child back a grade as a teacher no matter what.