cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
He got fired. There's also a ton of people who think we never landed on the moon. Conspiracy theories are lots of fun, and there are a whole bunch of very gullible people out there.
I had a Ron Paul supporter tell me that the OnStar system by GM is actually a device installed so the government can track your whereabouts and listen in on your conversations.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

The only Clinton related death that I ever thought stunk was Vince Foster. If nothing else, it is a remarkably odd convergence of events.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally admire the Obama supporters. The fact that people are actually excited and inspired has to count for something.

Nobody was excited about any of the GOP candidates. Mitt "finger in the air" Romney, Ron "crazy uncle" Paul, Rudy "my children hate me" Giuliani, John "straight dick" McCain, Mike "my wife is a man" Huckabee.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Without gullible people, you wouldn't have wonderful music videos like this:

Is this another "effective communication is evil -- just look at Hitler" comment?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I personally admire the Obama supporters. The fact that people are actually excited and inspired has to count for something.

Nobody was excited about any of the GOP candidates. Mitt "finger in the air" Romney, Ron "crazy uncle" Paul, Rudy "my children hate me" Giuliani, John "straight dick" McCain, Mike "my wife is a man" Huckabee.
These are all the same people that made Britney Spears famous. They are consumers of pop culture. Obama is the pop icon of the moment. I am starting to feel optimistic lately that he might get nominated. The more I think about it the more I believe that he can't truly trade punches once the press stops treating him with kid gloves. Hillary, of course, can trade punches with anyone.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Hillary, of course, can trade punches with anyone.
Except for the pop icon, apparently.

Criticizing a politician for being popular seems a bit like criticizing your math teacher for being good at math.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
UtahDan

Quote:
Criticizing a politician for being popular seems a bit like criticizing your math teacher for being good at math.
Its not a critique. It is an explanation about why people are excited. It is excitement at a very superficial level. The grown ups interested in politics aren't "excited" because politics in general is a fairly sober topic.

I defy anyone to name me an exciting Obama position. "Yes we can" and "hope" don't count.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
woot

Quote:
Its not a critique. It is an explanation about why people are excited. It is excitement at a very superficial level. The grown ups interested in politics aren't "excited" because politics in general is a fairly sober topic.

I defy anyone to name me an exciting Obama position. "Yes we can" and "hope" don't count.
His plan to run a "google government" is pretty exciting to me. I think the whole strategy of criticizing Obama because he's popular among the under-30 crowd and because he's an effective speaker is just really stupid. If McCain or Hillary could, they would choose to be eloquent and popular with the under-30 crowd. They can't, so they try to make those qualities seem undesirable.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
UtahDan

Quote:
His plan to run a "google government" is pretty exciting to me. I think the whole strategy of criticizing Obama because he's popular among the under-30 crowd and because he's an effective speaker is just really stupid. If McCain or Hillary could, they would choose to be eloquent and popular with the under-30 crowd. They can't, so they try to make those qualities seem undesirable.

A website that helps people understand where the federal budget gets allocated. This is his big idea? Wow I guess he really shot for the moon on that one. Of course Obama is eloquent, he is just remarkably non-specific. He has yet to articulate an idea other than withdraw from Iraq no matter what, which is just plain dumb. Even Hillary has a nuanced position on that.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
These are all the same people that made Britney Spears famous. They are consumers of pop culture. Obama is the pop icon of the moment. I am starting to feel optimistic lately that he might get nominated. The more I think about it the more I believe that he can't truly trade punches once the press stops treating him with kid gloves. Hillary, of course, can trade punches with anyone.
Yeah, he ran away when they asked too many questions about that mansion deal in Chicago. $1.6 million. Pretty good for a "community organizer." I thought Michelle said they turned away from those high-paying corporate jobs to help the people.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote