cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: BYU sports - a missionary tool, a PR tool, or neither or both?
Missionary Tool 1 3.57%
PR Tool 4 14.29%
Neither 6 21.43%
Both 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Eric Weddle was baptized while at the U. Where's the poll about Utah athletics as a missionary tool?

Sure his LDS girlfriend prior to college had something to do with it, but we all know it was being around an LDS sensitive coach like Urban Meyer, followed by the Moutain West's honest Abe, Kyle Whittingham.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
This isn't rocket science.
Exactly. Research institution my ass.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
well, smarty pants tex, so far it looks like there are those who are distinguishing between PR tool and missionary tool in the poll. apparently there are those who think that a PR tool is different than a missionary tool, as do i.
Then I think you're just splitting definitional hairs. All joking aside, no reasonable person thinks the Spirit habitually testifies at sporting events. When someone says "missionary tool" they are most likely referring to missionary fringe benefits as the result of good PR.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

It is splitting hairs and verbage and all of that. But, there is a difference between a missionary tool (videos, tracts, etc) and a publicity tool like byu athletics, ambassadors, etc. That's my only point.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
just a rant:

I stumbled across this blog article while in a pissy mood that my tithing money actually goes to fund BYU tuition, and immediately got into a pissy mood that there are still really people who believe that BYU sports are a missionary tool. I have lived out of the Mormon Bubble and in the mission field for quite a few years, and can absolutely tell you that I have never seen an incident of conversion that had anything to do with BYU athletics or athletes associated with BYU athletics.

There may be some good will or PR to the church from BYU's sports programs, but that is not a missionary tool in the sense that it brings in new converts or has anything to do with the holy ghost bearing witness. I have a hard time buying it when people say that BYU sports is a missionary tool. It is not, in my opinion.

so, poll!

http://gospelcougar.blogspot.com/200...f-tithing.html
We all know that the church's priority isn't missionary work any more. It's good PR. And, as long as the BYU fields a winning team, that's good PR.