cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The McCain Huckabee dance

It's fairly obvious now to everyone that these guys are tag-teaming on Romney, securing a path for McCain to frontrunner status and probably the nomination. Sans Huck, the path would have been much more difficult for McCain and probable that we would be looking at a Romney nomination right now.

So, how does McCain reward his little bitch? The VP slot is the obvious prize, and as much as Huck denies campaigning for it, this is surely behind his continued presence in the race (or is just Mormon-hating). Choosing Huck could be a good move in that it mobilizes a very passionate part of the electorate that will show up at the polls in force in November. It could also be seen as a concession to a certain portion of the right. Conversely, not choosing Huck could be seen as a slap in the face of someone that played an essential role in McCain's fight for the nomination.

Other than offending a bunch of Mormons, what are the negatives of a McCain-Huckabee ticket? Will the country club and business Repubs also turn away? Has McCain painted himself into a bit of corner?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your analysis is wrong.

The Huckabee vote does not go to Romney in any overwhelming way.

Huckabee is a southern evangelical, with a moderate economic history. If that appeals to you, how does the Mormon northeasterner automatically appeal to you?

Last night blew the theory out of the water, when Huckabee swept the south.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'm starting to agree with Mike's view on this ... I'm not sure the Huck voters would've gone for Romney.

But the short answer to your question is no, Huckabee will not be rewarded if the McCain campaign has a single brain among them. He's anathema to so many voters, they would be very stupid to nominate him. IMO.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think your analysis is wrong.

The Huckabee vote does not go to Romney in any overwhelming way.

Huckabee is a southern evangelical, with a moderate economic history. If that appeals to you, how does the Mormon northeasterner automatically appeal to you?

Last night blew the theory out of the water, when Huckabee swept the south.
Very odd analysis. Please explain then Huck continually going after Romney. It's obvious to people around here that they are fighting for the same voters.

But even if you are correct, it seems irrelevant. Huck has cooperated with McCain to bring Romney down (the most recent example being West Virginia). Huck never speaks out against McCain. The alliance is open.

How does McCain reward Huck for his loyalty?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm saying that if Huck dropped out or died tomorrow, McCain is still the overwhelming favorite.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
myboynoah

Quote:
I'm saying that if Huck dropped out or died tomorrow, McCain is still the overwhelming favorite.
I tend to disagree, but that wasn't my question.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

McCain doesn't owe Huck anything.

Huck will get to talk during primetime during the convention. That's the traditional award for someone in his position.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
myboynoah

Quote:
McCain doesn't owe Huck anything.
My sense is that you hold a minority opinion.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Huck has some stiff competition from Rudy for the roll of McCain's lap dog.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Other than offending a bunch of Mormons, what are the negatives of a McCain-Huckabee ticket? Will the country club and business Repubs also turn away? Has McCain painted himself into a bit of corner?
I was thinking about this last week when I said it appeared Huckabee and McCain were working in collusion to take down Romney. What are the ramifications for McCain?

Assume that McCain goes with Huckabee for VP, which I think right now he is seriously considering.

1. Yes, Huckabee appeals to conservative voters of the religious right who might not otherwise resonate with McCain. BUT, these voters are never ever going to vote for Obama/Clinton anyway. So choosing a VP specifically to please that voter base is rather short-sighted.

2. Huckabee is on record with any number of statements that are either ludicrous, offensive, or both. Plus, the fact that he IS the embodiment of the religious right's stronghold on the GOP will be disappointing/disconcerting to both moderate Republicans and to swing voters. So in the general election, this makes Huckabee more of a liability to McCain than an asset.

So the point is, Noah, that I think you're right. McCain is leaning toward Huck, which on first glance makes some sense, but upon deeper analysis may not be a wise choice. He's basically painting himself into a corner and at some point he's going to have to mop up the mess. I think his analysts/advisers are going to realize the drawbacks of a McCain-Huckabee ticket and have to leave Huck out in the cold. Does this piss off Huck?? Probably. Does anyone other than Huck care? Not really. I'd imagine McCain would offer Huck some sort of lesser position in a proposed administration, and for VP will go with someone who will appeal to the conservatives, but who won't be as much of a liability as Huck.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote