cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does Romney need to do tomorrow to "keep hope alive?"

I say he needs to hold serve in Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, Colorado, and Massachusetts and then win in California and Georgia (or Missouri or Tennessee). Challenging McCain in Arizona would be a cherry on top.

Even then McCain would probably come out with more delegates but Romney would be seen as still very viable.

Short of that we need to start coalescing around McCain, like all the Cappos did around Michael at the end of The Godfather and they slammed the door in Diane Keaton's face (I love that part). Huckabee is Diane Keaton in this scenario.

It isn't personal, it's business.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road
Default He needs to all that you listed

But you might as well count Huckabee's delegates with McCain's. Romney will have a tough road even if he wins California. I saw a break down somewhere that included a Romney win in California. It included delegates for Huckabee in CA, which I don't think is going to happen, so the break down wasn't incredibly exact and I think it may have undercounted Romney by about 50, overcounted McCain by about 30 and Huckabee 20. Nevertheless, Romney is still down about 200 delegates. At that point, Romney would have to make quite the comeback but he will still be viable.

One positive that will come out of Feb. 5th is the elimination of Mike Huckabee. Most people already acknowledge the guy has nowhere to go, but there will be no doubt what his aim is after Feb. 5th- get enough delegates to force John McCain to pick him as his running mate. I'm not sure if people can get behind someone that's running only on that. Huckabee before Feb. 5 could plausibly claim that he wants to sweep the Oklahoma to Georgia belt (and he's not doing bad in the polls there). When that doesn't materialize, Huckabee truly has nowhere to go and people will pick up on the fact that a vote for him is essentially wasted unless they REALLY want Huck as VP. I just don't think he can bank on that.

So, I think the best possible scenario for Romney is a 200 delegate deficit with Huckabee essentially out of the race. Unfortunately, 200 delegates isn't anything sneeze at when you're up against John McCain and the media's love affair with the guy. With mostly proportional primaries it will be very difficult to make up the deficit, but it can happen.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote