cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Romney up by 3% in California in latest Zogby

I expect McCain will counter with allegation that Romney has three wives.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't they say Romney had a 0.5% lead in Florida last Tuesday?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Didn't they say Romney had a 0.5% lead in Florida last Tuesday?
I heard something interesting on the radio a few weeks ago. Supposedly, studies have shown that quite a few people will say in a poll that they are going to vote for a black candidate but when they get in the voting booth, they just can't do it. So the black candidates often apply a correction factor to the published poll results to come up with a more likely number. I suppose the same may be true of a mormon candidate.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think you can always find a screwball poll that's at odds with most others and doesn't make any sense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think you can always find a screwball poll that's at odds with most others and doesn't make any sense.
This poll isn't that screwball. Most recent polls have Romney and Obama up a few points in Cali right now (Zogby, Rasmussen, etc).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Seattle, the numbers are moving so fast right now that all the polls are at odds with each other.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Mobilized Mormons=Romney wins California. A low enough percentage of people vote in primaries that California Mormons will probably give Romney the win. But since it isn't winner take all, Romney will still be essentially finished after Super Tuesday.

It might help if Romney could win Arizona, making a big media story about McCain losing his home state.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 02-03-2008 at 10:07 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
myboynoah

If Romney take California, the largest state in the union, that should make a splash. It will say a lot about McCain as an acceptable Repub candidate. This ain't Nevada.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

From Time magazine ...

"The Republicans, of course, have no monopoly on bad feelings between candidates. In recent weeks, the bitter feuding between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama has made many voters wary and disappointed. Yet in recent years, Republicans have made a mantra out of Reagan's "11th Commandment": "Thou shall not criticize other Republicans." Unaligned pollster Whit Ayers notes, however, that the Clinton-Obama clashes have "tapped into racial fault lines," something missing from the anti-Mitt sentiment. "It doesn't tap into anything larger," says Ayers. "It's just personal."

Willful naivety?

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...709507,00.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
myboynoah

Rasmussen now has it tied in California after a week of McCain in the lead and the media all but giving it to him. It is also now a virtual deadheat in Georgia with McCain up in one poll and Romney up in another.

I know, I know, Romney has little chance, but he is coming on strong and making a game of it.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-04-2008 at 02:38 AM.