cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
So do you just buy single tracks off of iTunes and then burn them to a CD or do you have a massive collection of music that you sort through each week and pick and choose songs to burn? I guess the laziness factor has me looking first for a complete album that I can just order off of amazon. I am also old fashioned and appreciate the completeness of an album. For example, The Pixies to me are more of an album band than a singles band. Their music is best heard from track 1 until the end. They are an all-time favorite at the danisupial house.

Thanks for your response.
I do have a hard drive filled with music, so plenty to choose from. And I collect as much of it as I can.

I am not a huge itunes person. I would rather find new music and then go buy the disc. Something about a record store that is really fun to me. I do purchase some music digitally, though. I also borrow CDs and rip them.

I think your approach is great...I hate having only part of an album. However, your concern seems to be finding an entire album that your kids can enjoy, as well. That is where it gets challenging.

You and I seem to have some similar musical tastes. So let me give you an example. The Smiths are easily in my Top 10 all time favorite bands. When my family and I drove to Vegas for the Vegas Bowl, I was in a Smiths mood. I think the Queen is Dead is a masterpiece and one of the best albums to come out of the 80s. It was hard for my wife to go from the uptempo pop of "Frankly, Mr Shankly" to the very downbeat and dark, "I know its over." We were driving on the open road, heading on vacation, it was sunny out. She wanted to skip the song and proceed to the next fast song. The last thing she wanted to do was listen to Morrissey lament the soil falling over his head at the end of a wasted, lonely life. For my part, there are some albums that should not be messed with. TQID is one of them. You dont skip songs. You listen to all of them in order. Ultimately, my wife and kids won and we skipped on to "Cemetry Gates" and "Bigmouth Strikes Again."

I think for kids, it is hard for them to appreciate concepts, moods, and themes within an album. They just appreciate a fun beat. That is why most 4 year olds dont want to sit down and listen to The Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish.....but once they reach a certain age....usually early teens....something in them clicks, they finally understand the greater power of music beyond just the beat and tempo. They find messages and meaning within the lyics, cover art, etc, and then they turn into little obsessed pop icon junkies. Give it awhile, your kids will come around. Hopefully, mine, too. If you are exposing them to the Pixies, then you are already well on your way.

As I said before, when you put together playlists, make it a fun project. It can be daunting to just put together a list of "songs you like." Instead, choose a theme....."all bands from Canada." Or "dead lead singers," etc..Then it makes the hunt more exciting. Plus, it leads to good conversation, asking friends or family for their input.

I once did a funny, disjointed playlist called "Harmonica." It was comprised purely of songs wherein the harmonica was notably featured. It is perhaps the only playlist in the world that contains the tracks "Runaround" (Blue Traveler) and "That's What Friends Are For," (Dionne Warwick and Friends).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The Smiths are easily in my Top 10 all time favorite bands.
Mine as well. We seem to have very similar music tastes, though I'll give myself credit for being a fan first because I am older than you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mine as well. We seem to have very similar music tastes, though I'll give myself credit for being a fan first because I am older than you.
I cant argue that.

When we were in London, I tried to talk my wife into going up to Manchester for a day or so. I wanted to head over to Salford to get a pic of the Lads Club front entrance. Apparently, that was not a persuasive enough argument to detour us from our trip, so we never went. I did get her to go to Abbey Road, though, which was VERY cool.

Did you ever see the Smiths live? It is a very rare thing, as they did not come to the States a lot and did not play in a lot of cities. I saw them once in LA. Universal Ampitheater.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I cant argue that.

When we were in London, I tried to talk my wife into going up to Manchester for a day or so. I wanted to head over to Salford to get a pic of the Lads Club front entrance. Apparently, that was not a persuasive enough argument to detour us from our trip, so we never went. I did get her to go to Abbey Road, though, which was VERY cool.

Did you ever see the Smiths live? It is a very rare thing, as they did not come to the States a lot and did not play in a lot of cities. I saw them once in LA. Universal Ampitheater.
I was lucky enough to catch them live in the states as well. I saw them in NYC in '86. Great show.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Try Pinback. And if you like fun instrument only stuff check out Ratatat. And if you like Ratatat's sound and hip-hop, search for the mixes. It's sick.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As I said before, when you put together playlists, make it a fun project. It can be daunting to just put together a list of "songs you like." Instead, choose a theme....."all bands from Canada." Or "dead lead singers," etc..Then it makes the hunt more exciting. Plus, it leads to good conversation, asking friends or family for their input.
You would have liked these old threads:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5431

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5567

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6515
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is why most 4 year olds dont want to sit down and listen to The Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish.....but once they reach a certain age....usually early teens....something in them clicks, they finally understand the greater power of music beyond just the beat and tempo. They find messages and meaning within the lyics, cover art, etc, and then they turn into little obsessed pop icon junkies. Give it awhile, your kids will come around. Hopefully, mine, too. If you are exposing them to the Pixies, then you are already well on your way.
Some of us never reach this point. This is why my 6 year old daughter is fanatical about Metallica right now. Her favorite song is Enter Sandman, which I almost find disturbing.

Are you still sure you want her to babysit, DDD? At least it's not Nickelback....

Sorry to corrupt such a good music thread with my mass-produced aural feces.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #18
TripletDaddy

These are excellent. Exactly what I am talking about. I think themed playlists are really fun and very cool.

I loved the political song thread you linked. All 3 threads had lots of great songs.

very cool. thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #19
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

My 2 year old loves top 40 pop. But she does like electronica type stuff too though. She loves Soulja Boy and busts out the superman dance in the car seat.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote