cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #61
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the most entertaining boxing matches are in the lower weight divisions. They throw a TON of punches.

Whereas in a heavyweight match you only see a few punches.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #62
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some of the most entertaining boxing matches are in the lower weight divisions. They throw a TON of punches.

UFC technically does have all the same weight classes as boxing

The UFC currently uses five weight classes:In addition, there are four other weight classes specified in the Unified Rules which the UFC does not currently utilize:they just do not utilize 4 of them.

Where in boxing you can gain a pound and you change weight classes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_weight_classes
I like UFCs set up a lot better. Boxing doesnt even have a unifed belt.

Last edited by cougjunkie; 01-08-2007 at 08:16 PM.
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #63
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

I agree but outside of true fans who wants to watch 100 pound guys punch each other? People want to see the knockout. They want to see who the biggest and the baddest is. That's always been the attraction especially to the casual fan.

I mean can anyone tell me a current boxing champion below middleweight without looking it up on google? Now how many can name a belt holder middleweight up to heavyweight?

It's not a race issue. It's a money issue. And the lighter divisions just don't draw like the big boys do. UFC has simply circumvented that all by not entertaining it at all. Their audience is niche and they cater well to it. But it is growing quickly, and despite what Arum thinks, even using UFC's marketing techniques won't salvage the sport. The only thing that would save it is another polarizing icon like Ali. But those days are long gone, because of the aforementioned better athletes no longer participating in boxing. One of my best friends boxed at Notre Dame. He had no experience or training before arriving in South Bend and in fact was 6'5" middle blocker on the volleyball team in high school.

Remember UFC is still relatively young and had to overcome scrutiny in it's beginning and wasn't allowed in many arenas. I think the growth they have seen overcoming such odds and in a short period of time is indicative of sustained growth.

I love boxing and I follow it pretty closely. I love UFC/Pride/MMA too. They're both distinct sports.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #64
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When the UFC fighters wise up, there will not be a unified belt either. Because a different league will be set up to sanction fights. Why? Because they will agree to pay the top fighters more money. And it will look more and more like boxing's sanctioning bodies.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #65
MikeWaters
Demiurge

How many professional boxing matches are there in the Unites States every year? Thousands.

How many professional MMA matches are there in a year? exponentially less.

Don't count boxing out. Boxing is an international sport.

MMA is a sideshow developing into a sport.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #66
cougjunkie

Quote:
How many professional boxing matches are there in the Unites States every year? Thousands.

How many professional MMA matches are there in a year? exponentially less.

Don't count boxing out. Boxing is an international sport.

MMA is a sideshow developing into a sport.
Well Mike you have already come along way just in this thread, you are now using the MMA term. congrats. Next time you are in Utah come over for a fight.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #67
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Boxing, like Judaism, will not die, but its importance will decline. (PS, this is a reference to Mike speculating about the disappearance of Judaism, not a anti-semitic post).

It has deep routes, but I don't find its popularity necessarily increasing. Even the poor markets eventually look to the wealthier markets for development of brawling.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #68
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Boxing, like Judaism, will not die, but its importance will decline. (PS, this is a reference to Mike speculating about the disappearance of Judaism, not a anti-semitic post).

It has deep routes, but I don't find its popularity necessarily increasing. Even the poor markets eventually look to the wealthier markets for development of brawling.
By the way, this has been a pretty solid thread thus far. 5 stars!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #69
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think in the future if anyone googles "racism UFC" they are going to end up on this thread. "Bunch of 13 year olds talking about whether Muhammed Ali could take Liddell!"
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #70
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I'm late getting in this but here are my takes:

1. Boxing is in decline and the great athletes don't go there any more, particularly the heavy weights. Boxing is corrupt and uninteresting and is being surpassed by UFC and pride.

2. What is at least partly missing from this discussion is speed. I watch both boxing and UFC and my sense is that the good UFC fighters would hold their own with or beat many or most of the better fighters of today, particularly the sluggers. The true boxers, however, the truly great athletes with the incredible speed, the Casius Clay's, would have most of these guy's heads off their shoulders before they fired a single punch. Sadly, these types aren't in the sport anymore and so I would say advantage UFC. But if you were to take the great boxers of the last 50 years and compare them, I would say that no question the boxers win against a form that in terms of the athletes it draws is still in its infancy.

It is not necessarily the stronger swordsman who wins. It is speed! Speed of hand. Speed of mind.