cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #51
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't have the 2008 figures handy.
7-3
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Not surprising though. Winning teams are harder to beat. You could run the same analysis for BCS leagues and come up with something similar.
Similar, but not THAT stark.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
It's 7-3 this year, by the way. So the trend seems to be upward. .500 in OOC games vs. the BCS is nothing to sneeze at since most of the 6 BCS conferences are right around .500 against each other every year.
*sneezes*

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #54
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Similar, but not THAT stark.
But we're not the WAC or Sunbelt or MAC.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

Quote:
But we're not the WAC or Sunbelt or MAC.
Please do not denigrate the Sunbelt or the MAC. I would hate for fans to start thinking that the Sunbelt is any less of a conference than the SEC.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #56
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
*sneezes*
So let me ask you this. How do you perceive the MWC in comparison to the other non-BCS leagues? Better? The same? Worse?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #57
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Please do not denigrate the Sunbelt or the MAC. I would hate for fans to start thinking that the Sunbelt is any less of a conference than the SEC.
If you can't see the difference between 7-3 and 2-22, then you need some real help with math. Are you really this dense? Did I ever say the Sunbelt was as good as the SEC? My original point was the fans like you see no real difference between a league like the MWC and the Sunbelt. After all, we're both "mid major." And while you seem to refute that on the surface, your arguments pretty much reveal that IS what you think. This is where I have a problem with the mid major label. It's just an attempt to group us all together whether the grouping makes sense or not. The MWC is a lot closer to the PAC 10 than the other non-BCS leagues are. Indy can bring up that the 7-7 record last year doesn't mean much, but hell, WAC teams lost EIGHTEEN freaking games in a row against the BCS last year before they won one. Was every one of those 18 teams a winning team?

Last edited by BlueK; 09-26-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #58
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

How many of those games versus the BCS were road games?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #59
TripletDaddy

Quote:
So let me ask you this. How do you perceive the MWC in comparison to the other non-BCS leagues? Better? The same? Worse?
If I understand your logic correctly, then there is really no difference. Conferences are mostly equal and year over year, the talent gap and quality is basically the same.

Personally, I am biased towards BYU. Also, Utah had an amazing run of dominance. In 2004, they were an excellent team that was definitely Top 5 material. This year, both BYU and Utah are poised to make a special run on the national stage. My point being, of all the mid majors, the MWC seems to have consistently produced someone to take the national stage each year.

So if I had to answer, I would say that the MWC generally is better than....say....the SunBelt or the MAC.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #60
TripletDaddy

Quote:
If you can't see the difference between 7-3 and 2-22, then you need some real help with math. Are you really this dense? Did I ever say the Sunbelt was as good as the SEC? My original point was the fans like you see no real difference between a league like the MWC and the Sunbelt. After all, we're both "mid major." And while you seem to refute that on the surface, your arguments pretty much reveal that IS what you think.
On the surface? My original point is that i DO think that the MWC is a mid-major. I have never hidden that. Of course we are a mid-major. We play in a lame conference that has little national appeal, we are tired to a crappy stupid bowl game, and it is impossible to watch our games on TV. We are generally not as deep as the BCS conferences top to bottom, our revenues as a conference are lower, our attendance as a conference tends to be lower, our recruiting classes as a conference tend to be rated lower, etc....what evidence do you have that the MWC is NOT a mid-major?

This is the big head scratcher for me. Why is being a mid-major such a big deal? Why is it so negative? I don't see it that way. I just see it as reality.

Where we seem to really differ is your unsupportable stance that all fans of BCS schools believe that all BCS teams are better than non-BCS teams. As I stated before, such a stance seems silly.