cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
30-35 sec is not my flat-out speed. It is my speed that I was attempting to do in relaxed fashion. If I want to swim 800 yards, I will need to get much better in the water, because I am tired after just 25 yards.
Don't worry about your time right now. Just getting out and putting in the yardage is the key right now. Go at your comfortable speed and up your yardage each week. After a couple months go by you'll find that your times are decreasing rapidly.

I had my son put together a workout for me last summer that worked pretty well. He started me with a slow 600 yards broken down as 100 Free, 100 breast, 100 back, 100 fly (I couldn't do this for a long time so I just practiced the kick with a kickboard and dropped it to 50 yards) and then ending with 200 free. He had me rest as needed between strokes but told me the goal was to do the 600 slowly without rest. As the summer progressed that 600 was my warm-up and then he had me doing 50 free sprints in sets of 5-10. He started me by saying I had to take off for the next one at the top of the next minute so if I took 45 seconds to do the sprint I got 15 seconds rest. After the sprints he added 200 back and some fly work in short sets. He always had me cool down with a slow 100-200 free. By the end of the summer I was feeling comfortable in a slow mile swim.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote