cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Costco etc

Do you or your family shop at one of those price club stores? (is that the right word?). I'm talking about Sam's Club or Costco or whatever.

I've never been to one of those stores and never wanted to belong, but I've been thinking about doing it so I can buy my bulk crap for the ward parties. I hadn't wanted to do it because I didn't want to pay the membership, but I am starting to realize it will probably be one of the many ways I am going to subsidize the ward activities out of my own pocket.

The reason why I bring this up is I wonder if one is better than the other? Is there a difference?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Do you or your family shop at one of those price club stores? (is that the right word?). I'm talking about Sam's Club or Costco or whatever.

I've never been to one of those stores and never wanted to belong, but I've been thinking about doing it so I can buy my bulk crap for the ward parties. I hadn't wanted to do it because I didn't want to pay the membership, but I am starting to realize it will probably be one of the many ways I am going to subsidize the ward activities out of my own pocket.

The reason why I bring this up is I wonder if one is better than the other? Is there a difference?
I am offended that any store would ask me to pay a fee just for the privilege of shopping there. It seems ridiculous to me, especially since they don't always have the best price and I can't even use my credit card.

Sorry, I am no help to you.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

I agree that if a store wants to charge me a fee just to shop there, that stops me at the door (hence, I have never joined). But I can't pay with a credit card either? Seriously? I didn't know that. And I don't have a reference point for prices, since I don't shop there.

You are of help to me since you've already given me info I didn't know.

Someone told me I have to buy the gigantic pancake mix at Costco for the activity--it's the only way. I said "couldn't we just buy flour and salt and baking soda and measure it out in advance?"
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
marsupial

Quote:
I agree that if a store wants to charge me a fee just to shop there, that stops me at the door (hence, I have never joined). But I can't pay with a credit card either? Seriously? I didn't know that. And I don't have a reference point for prices, since I don't shop there.

You are of help to me since you've already given me info I didn't know.

Someone told me I have to buy the gigantic pancake mix at Costco for the activity--it's the only way. I said "couldn't we just buy flour and salt and baking soda and measure it out in advance?"
I bet you could buy pancake mix in bulk at Walmart. My walmart has a bulk aisle. Also, my guess is several large boxes of the off-brand pancake mix at Walmart would be the same or cheaper than whatever bulk mix Costco sells.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I bet you could buy pancake mix in bulk at Walmart. My walmart has a bulk aisle. Also, my guess is several large boxes of the off-brand pancake mix at Walmart would be the same or cheaper than whatever bulk mix Costco sells.
ahhh. . . If you can believe this, there is no close Wal-Mart.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
marsupial

Quote:
ahhh. . . If you can believe this, there is no close Wal-Mart.
That's when you know you are a yankee.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The unanimous verdict from other people seem to be that Costco is far better. I ate some very good whole-grain bread from there once, and people have good things to say about their cakes and cheesecakes. (Of course, you probably would not buy those things anyways).

My MIL was given a Sam's club membership, and put me on as the second cardholder last year. I only went a handful of times, because it didn't seem worth it to feed my little family. I remember getting a big box of great mangoes a couple times, (made sorbet because we couldn't eat them all in time) and some other produce... but I wouldn't pay for a membership myself. I seem to remember paying with a credit card though.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Costco's Kirkland Signature brand is often better than the name brand. I prefer Costco greatly over Sam's. The selection is better and you never know what you're going to find. I'd also talk to the bishop and explain why you are getting the Costco membership. Explain that you'll keep track of your purchases until the year membership runs out and then ask that the ward reimburse you for that portion of the membership that you used to buy stuff for the ward. If I were the bishop, I'd consider that fair, especially since you wouldn't get the membership otherwise.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
The unanimous verdict from other people seem to be that Costco is far better. I ate some very good whole-grain bread from there once, and people have good things to say about their cakes and cheesecakes. (Of course, you probably would not buy those things anyways).

My MIL was given a Sam's club membership, and put me on as the second cardholder last year. I only went a handful of times, because it didn't seem worth it to feed my little family. I remember getting a big box of great mangoes a couple times, (made sorbet because we couldn't eat them all in time) and some other produce... but I wouldn't pay for a membership myself. I seem to remember paying with a credit card though.
I agree with Farrah. I don't frequent it, but they provide some services more cheaply than others. For example, we can buy the cheapest gasoline from Costco, so why not? And ophthalmic care is provided more cheaply.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
RedHeadGal

Thanks all, for your input. I gave it some more thought and think I will defer. I'm just not convinced that Costco is the way to go. The person who was trying to get me to shop there told me I could get this 10 lb bag of pancake mix for just 17. Just 17! So I went to my normal grocery and noticed that I could buy 5 2-lb boxes of the same stuff for $17.50.

Which reminded me again why I hate those places--not only do you have to buy more, but you have to buy more at a rate that really isn't discounted. The psychology of bulk shopping at it's best.