cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Seattle's version of the Church a caricature?

Seattle seems to have this little Rocky Mountain vision of some segments of a 19th century Church, where everybody believed single-mindedly in simple creationism, the Great Apostasy, and that the Lamanites sole genetic progenitors were Israelites.

Apparently, our friend has never met a convert from outside that region, read Sunstone, or spoken to anybody who doesn't meet his caricature of the Church.

Frankly, although I have met a few people who embody what Seattle decries, they are the minority and indeed merely a caricature of the real living people of a living, evolving church.

I feel badly that Seattle endured the "horror" of having to collect fast offerings by an oppressive priesthood father, had to serve in Equador (which played okay but not as well as they should have in World Cup) and had the opportunity of becoming a Ute. It seems not to have so impaired his personal and professional career.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

That's funny archea. But that has been my observation as well.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Seattle seems to have this little Rocky Mountain vision of some segments of a 19th century Church, where everybody believed single-mindedly in simple creationism, the Great Apostasy, and that the Lamanites sole genetic progenitors were Israelites.

Apparently, our friend has never met a convert from outside that region, read Sunstone, or spoken to anybody who doesn't meet his caricature of the Church.

Frankly, although I have met a few people who embody what Seattle decries, they are the minority and indeed merely a caricature of the real living people of a living, evolving church.

I feel badly that Seattle endured the "horror" of having to collect fast offerings by an oppressive priesthood father, had to serve in Equador (which played okay but not as well as they should have in World Cup) and had the opportunity of becoming a Ute. It seems not to have so impaired his personal and professional career.
I realize I have stumbled into an unusally enlightened nest of LDS here. As for whether you all represent the mainstream in the faith I refer you to CB membership numbers and posting figures vs. same for CG.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Who are we kidding? The church is what it is. Sure, most people have some little corner of their life in which they take special interest in a certain field, and most people have some pet theory about one thing or another.

The question is this -- what is the church as a whole? What are the general cultural trends? To what extent are those trends promoted by the leaders of the church?

The church is monolithic enough in size that I think we can be honest about what is going on in general while still recognizing that on the individual level there is all kinds of creative thought and energy.

Last edited by Robin; 06-28-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the nature of apostasy is pride, and of course with pride, comes caricature of those that are in the faith.

I have a friend who apostasized to the extent that he attends a Baptist Congregation. He was going to go back to SLC for his mission reunion, but he chickened out because he couldn't bear the idea of telling his mission president he had left the church. Anyway, in the course of preparing to go to the reunion, he emailed many of his compadres and shared his story of leaving the church, etc. He said he was suprised at the diversity of experience in the church that they shared, their compassion, and the depth of their membership. He said that he had completely underestimated them (i.e. made a cariacature in his mind).

I'm not really interested in debating whether the nature of apostasy is pride or not, it's just my opinion. Neither am I saying that SU doesn't have a nuanced view of the church. But the fact is that there are a lot of people in the church that have views probably not that different than SU, with the exception that they have a sufficient amount of faith in the church, that they remain, believe, and participate.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Both of my parents are intellectuals. My dad was a curriculum editor for the church for 20 years, has written for every church publication and currently edits and writes for Sunstone in his retirement. He is a wealth of knowledge and understanding like nobody I have ever known and is always pointing me in new direction of gosple thought. I share this because there was a time when I would sit in gosple doctrine and EQ and marvel at how much more I know than everybody else. As the years have passed, I realize that I never gave the general population of the church enough credit, and when I am in church, I sit among intellectual giants.
I agree with MW. Pride leads to the fall. And thinking we are smarter than everybody else can lead to thinking we know more that the Lords anointed leaders. Apostasy is not far from there.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I think the nature of apostasy is pride, and of course with pride, comes caricature of those that are in the faith.

I have a friend who apostasized to the extent that he attends a Baptist Congregation. He was going to go back to SLC for his mission reunion, but he chickened out because he couldn't bear the idea of telling his mission president he had left the church. Anyway, in the course of preparing to go to the reunion, he emailed many of his compadres and shared his story of leaving the church, etc. He said he was suprised at the diversity of experience in the church that they shared, their compassion, and the depth of their membership. He said that he had completely underestimated them (i.e. made a cariacature in his mind).

I'm not really interested in debating whether the nature of apostasy is pride or not, it's just my opinion. Neither am I saying that SU doesn't have a nuanced view of the church. But the fact is that there are a lot of people in the church that have views probably not that different than SU, with the exception that they have a sufficient amount of faith in the church, that they remain, believe, and participate.
What I like about CougarBoard is it gives me so much fodder for self- vindication and pride.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
What I like about CougarBoard is it gives me so much fodder for self- vindication and pride.
LOL. Good one.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

Is MikeWaters' version of 'apostates' a caricature?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Is MikeWaters' version of 'apostates' a caricature?
I include complete self-absorption, selfishness, and a twisted sense of ethics and morality with pride.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote