cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
COUGZ

COUGZ is on a distinguished road
Default Can "thee" Church of Christ have differing opinions?

I've been watching Larry King tonight and the show has been about gays and religion.

It is very, very interesting to listen to Church leaders of these religions argue against one another (and against same religion).

I guess my question is this...can the Church of Christ truly exist in a religion where the leadership differ on theological issues?

I know in our mormondum, we often differ as members on political and theocratic issues, but I have never once see the collective Church leadership disagree. In fact, they make it very clear on anything that it was a 100% joint desicion by everyone.

Perhaps wrongly, I believe that the leadership of any religion that confesses to be that of Jesus Christ must agree 100% on every theological issue. Is that not what Christ taught and insisted his apostles follow?

I may be completely out in left field...

Also...the Episcopal church couldn't be further from Christ's teachings than I am from being a woman. (livecoug...no comments here)

Last edited by COUGZ; 06-16-2006 at 05:03 AM.
COUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I doubt very much that they agree 100% on every issue. Put any 15 intelligent men in one room and ask them to think something through, and you will likely get 15 different responses. The David O. McKay biography showed several instances in which the brethren differed vastly in their opinions about certain doctrines.

They do, however, act in unity. I suspect that once an issue has been discussed and a decision made, all are expected to support that decision and abide by it. That would never fly in a democracy, but in this case, where it is taught that a prophet leads the church by revelation, there is extra motivation to follow.

If this sounds somewhat dictatorial, I offer this observation: the more I learn about the LDS Church, the more convinced I am that it is either of God or it is a heinous, devilish lie. It is little surprise that so many cannot maintain a passive stance towards the church.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGZ
I've been watching Larry King tonight and the show has been about gays and religion.

It is very, very interesting to listen to Church leaders of these religions argue against one another (and against same religion).

I guess my question is this...can the Church of Christ truly exist in a religion where the leadership differ on theological issues?

I know in our mormondum, we often differ as members on political and theocratic issues, but I have never once see the collective Church leadership disagree. In fact, they make it very clear on anything that it was a 100% joint desicion by everyone.

Perhaps wrongly, I believe that the leadership of any religion that confesses to be that of Jesus Christ must agree 100% on every theological issue. Is that not what Christ taught and insisted his apostles follow?

I may be completely out in left field...

Also...the Episcopal church couldn't be further from Christ's teachings than I am from being a woman. (livecoug...no comments here)
Look at the conflict Peter and Paul had on how to handle gentile converts. I believe there is room for disagreement even at high levels. I'd guess the appearance of consent among the 12 is more of a p.r. thing than anything.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

The brethren may act in unison, but they don't agree, not even close.

For example, right now the quorum is split almost 50/50 on what the church should do with their current relationship with illegals. Some believe that they shouldn't be taught, baptized, given callings, some believe that their shouldn't be any restrictions on illegals. The church as we know backed illegals and now, in part, endorse illegal immigration.

Theological examples of dissent: blacks and the priesthood, evolution, origin of man, who God is, polygamy.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
The brethren may act in unison, but they don't agree, not even close.

For example, right now the quorum is split almost 50/50 on what the church should do with their current relationship with illegals. Some believe that they shouldn't be taught, baptized, given callings, some believe that their shouldn't be any restrictions on illegals. The church as we know backed illegals and now, in part, endorse illegal immigration.

Theological examples of dissent: blacks and the priesthood, evolution, origin of man, who God is, polygamy.
Split 50/50, eh? I'm curious to know where you learned that.

By the way, I believe that the church should not restrict illegals. In doing so they no more "endorse" illegal immigration than a doctor who treats an illegal immigrant endorses illegal immigration. Churches provide a service that is a fundamental human right, not merely an American right. To refuse that service elevates artificial law above natural law.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Split 50/50, eh? I'm curious to know where you learned that.

By the way, I believe that the church should not restrict illegals. In doing so they no more "endorse" illegal immigration than a doctor who treats an illegal immigrant endorses illegal immigration. Churches provide a service that is a fundamental human right, not merely an American right. To refuse that service elevates artificial law above natural law.
I have my sources. We discussed this on cougarboard, and I verified if with somebody I know that is very close to three of the apostles. He said that currently they are split, and that it has been discussed.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I have my sources. We discussed this on cougarboard, and I verified if with somebody I know that is very close to three of the apostles. He said that currently they are split, and that it has been discussed.
Interesting.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Interesting.
Now if only we had someone around here that could confirm or deny that....Hmmmmmmmmmmm
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Now if only we had someone around here that could confirm or deny that....Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Why do you care to confirm whether AA actually finds it interesting?

Sorry; long hours this week and I am a bit punchy.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Why do you care to confirm whether AA actually finds it interesting?

Sorry; long hours this week and I am a bit punchy.
I can confirm it-- I find it interesting.