cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah leading nation in volunteering - props to church

Interesting article on how utah leads the nation in volunteer service -- almost double the national average. ARticle says likely due to LDS church.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060612/...tah_volunteers
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good job, Utah.

This report sure goes against the beliefs of many here. Maybe that's why no one else has commented yet.

Thanks for the link.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly church callings demand a lot of time...

In my case, I feel much better about my service in Scouts than I did being the exec. secretary. Not that you don't need ESs, but because it is boring and just endless meetings (which accomplish much good, but I'd rather be in the trenches).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is interesting, not only because of the volunteer work that many in the church are involved in, but I would doubt it takes into account all of the other voluntary work done within the walls of the church...helping others move, helping provide meals at thanksgiving, christmas etc...and of course, callings...all volunteer. I think this is great!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather
I think this is interesting, not only because of the volunteer work that many in the church are involved in, but I would doubt it takes into account all of the other voluntary work done within the walls of the church...helping others move, helping provide meals at thanksgiving, christmas etc...and of course, callings...all volunteer. I think this is great!
I would bet that all of that is considered.

I didn't comment because I didn't know what to think of it all. Sure, there is tons of service. But is paper pushing as a ward clerk being clocked on a per/hour basis against service at a battered women's shelter? I guess what I mean to say is that the question of 'what is service,' might have very different meanings from state to state...

... that said, I would not be surprised if Utah STILL came out on top. I am glad to have grown up in a faith that places selfless service as a high prioritiy.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I would bet that all of that is considered.

I didn't comment because I didn't know what to think of it all. Sure, there is tons of service. But is paper pushing as a ward clerk being clocked on a per/hour basis against service at a battered women's shelter? I guess what I mean to say is that the question of 'what is service,' might have very different meanings from state to state...

... that said, I would not be surprised if Utah STILL came out on top. I am glad to have grown up in a faith that places selfless service as a high prioritiy.
I'm not sure exactly how the survey was conducted as I didn't get a call from the census bureau. But I would assume that time spent in church callings was included in the service hours. I'm totally okay with that. I think a ward clerk logging hours in the office is still a valuable service.

If they had called me, I would have definitely included my time helping people move and helping round up donations for holiday meals and clothes for the needy. Its not working in a homeless shelter or a womens refuge, but in a small way it still helps make the community a better place.

And in followup of MWs post on scouting, I think that certain individuals in Utah probably skewed the data in the total hours served category, ie. scouters, youth leaders.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Good job, Utah.

This report sure goes against the beliefs of many here. Maybe that's why no one else has commented yet.

Thanks for the link.
What is volunteer service?

Teaching a class in Sunday School? Serving a mission? Helping a move in an Elder's Quorum? Doing Shut-In's as a priest? Home teaching?

The church does an excellent job at providing ways to serve each other, as that is part of the mission of the church. Some people, me included, not limited to the people on this board, think the church should emphasize the service of all people a lot more than it currently does. I was thinking the other day how my mission would have been different if my main purpose and goal was to serve other people, in the sense of lending a helping hand, giving freely of my time, visiting more hospitals, homeless shelters, poor neighborhoods, etc, instead of knocking doors. Would I have baptized people this way? I don't know, would I have been more like Jesus? I would probably think so.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote