cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double Standards

Now, an opening caveat. This is for entertainment purposes only, the assumptions made or conclusions drawn are anecdotal. Moreover, by virture of necessity for illustration and highlighting unobvious events, they are certainly subject to hyperbole.

With that said, I've noticed women get the benefit of a doubt beyond reason in two areas.

First, physical abuse.

There are men who strike, slap or otherwise physically abuse women, but we men think of these men as the louses that they are.

Women on the other hand will almost take pride in striking a man, if she is emotionally upset. I'm speaking about physical protection.

Case in point. One couple in our ward was in an argument. The woman picks up a knife and throws into the leg of her husband, severely injuring his leg in that he was not able to run for a year. He did not report her so that she wouldn't have to go to jail. Women have embraced her and most guys don't even know how he was injured.

Second case, a man and his wife in our ward got into an argument, he picked up a tennis racket and struck his wife. It was not a good thing. Some how she was dissuaded from filing, so that his professional career would not be ruined. The women in our ward loathe this man and will never forgive him. He lives life as a pariah in the ward.

Finally, most men I know have confided women hitting, slapping and kneeing them when they feel they wish to win an argument. None of the men involved have ever physically touched these women. In fact, in several instances, they've had to call the cops to calm the women down.

The women blame the men in the ward, "he deserved it as he was questioning a credit card bill." "He was upset she was sleeping around, so she slugged him. The jerk deserved it." None of the women involved are considered pariahs, and in fact several have held high positions.

Oral abuse.

Most men I know will sometimes make a comment that is not always complimentary of a wife. I learned long ago from the bad example of relatives this was not a way to endear myself.

Nonetheless, I've noticed women take a no holds barred approach.

The guys in our stake have complained that women complain, "about overall looks, size of penis, lovemaking skills, desire to make love, size of hands, nose, shoulders, musculature, manner of walking, manner of sleeping, etc."

I would never ever dream of doing anything to demean a woman's self-image, at least not to her face or that she should find out about it. Why does our society either tolerate or encourage women to eviscerate males? I've been surprised at the overall maliciousness and viciousness of the female of the species. Do you think there will return a civility among male-female relations, or is civility a thing of the past? The nature of comments now are so cutting, so divisive, it's amazing couples stay together, yet a guy is supposed to endure, whereas a women is justified at least by other women in all their viciousness. Is it an overadjustment to the years of suppression? Not seen any studies, so it is an interesting development.

Discuss, dispute.