cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Danite or not?

I've been thinking about early LDS history somewhat lately. For some reason it's really struck me how much of the violence in Missouri and other places was just one-sided mob vs. women and children and a few men.

Now before someone comes along to set me straight about how the mob violence back then is exaggerated and misunderstood today, I just have one question:

Would you have joined the Danites had you lived back then?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I would have joined in all likelihood

The violence was not all one-sided. Initially it was, in Missouri in 1833-34 and before then elsewhere. But after a while in 1838 when the Mormon in Missouri broke out, Mormons fought back after being attacked. They figured they had turned the cheek thrice and were justified in taking the enemy in their own hands. Mormons commit some atrocities during that era as well, but it was considered a war and Mormons were copying what was being done to them.

Thomas B. Marsh and Orson Hyde left the church because they could not agree with the Mormon reactions and counter-fighting in that manner with the Missourians. You don't think it was a skim of cream on top of the milk that Marsh's wife was holding back that was the cause of his leaving the church do you? That one is another silly Mormon myth that is perpetuated to hide the real cause why some giants in the kingdom left.

LeSeuer's book on the topic is the best "the 1838 Mormon War in Missouri."

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
The violence was not all one-sided. Initially it was, in Missouri in 1833-34 and before then elsewhere. But after a while in 1838 when the Mormon in Missouri broke out, Mormons fought back after being attacked. They figured they had turned the cheek thrice and were justified in taking the enemy in their own hands. Mormons commit some atrocities during that era as well, but it was considered a war and Mormons were copying what was being done to them.

Thomas B. Marsh and Orson Hyde left the church because they could not agree with the Mormon reactions and counter-fighting in that manner with the Missourians. You don't think it was a skim of cream on top of the milk that Marsh's wife was holding back that was the cause of his leaving the church do you? That one is another silly Mormon myth that is perpetuated to hide the real cause why some giants in the kingdom left.

LeSeuer's book on the topic is the best "the 1838 Mormon War in Missouri."
Thanks for the education. Here is the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_B._Marsh

It is a shame that wikipedia is a better source for learning my own religious history than anything that was available in my time at BYU (at least in class-form. I'm sure if I had hit the stacks, and felt it was important, I would have found plenty).
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Would you have joined the Danites had you lived back then?
I joined back in '88. Rancho Cucamonga chapter.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

Well, there goes the theory that CougarGuard is the place to take your serious questions.

I get two posts that don't answer the question (as I expected) and one making fun of it.

Touchdown, everyone.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I would not have joined the Danites. The Danites, as far as I can tell, believed they should protect the church and its leaders and people NO MATTER WHAT.

For me, there is ALWAYS going to be a 'what.' At least I would hope so. The Danite way of thinking seems to be alive and well in the world in the Middle East.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, there goes the theory that CougarGuard is the place to take your serious questions.

I get two posts that don't answer the question (as I expected) and one making fun of it.

Touchdown, everyone.
Did you not read Dan's response?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
JohnnyLingo

Yes. I did. He didn't answer my question, just told me that my perceptions were wrong (as I anticipated someone would).

Why do you ask?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes. I did. He didn't answer my question, just told me that my perceptions were wrong (as I anticipated someone would).

Why do you ask?
did you read his subject? The one that said "I would have joined in all likelihood"?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
JohnnyLingo

Ha! I missed the subject. They're so small and hard to miss in this format.

I suppose I just cemented my reputation as an idiot.

Thanks for pointing that out ewth.