cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A closer look at the killer

From what little I've heard this incident falls into the category of domestic dispute. Argument with girlfriend escalates to murder. Then other uninvolved innocents are killed. Ends in sucide.

This fits the pattern of husband/boyfriend murdering wife/girlfriend and kids. This is a regular, almost cliche, occurrence in America.

The only differerence in this case, is that the number of uninvolved (aka the children) were much greater.

Clearly this was a premeditated mass murder. An IF/THEN murder. Two handguns, chains for the door. He had to know how the door operated, to know that the chain would be effective. He brought enough ammunition to kill and wound those students.

America is indifferent about murder. America will occasionally lift an eyebrow in cases like this, where the body count is high. But in almost all other cases, America yawns at murder.

The number of unapprehended murderers in this country must number in the tens of thousands.

And there are people, among us, who advocate doing just about nothing. "If you try and defend yourself, you are more likely to get hurt." I'm sorry, but I have no respect for you if this is your view.

On the way to work, I often drive by a boarded up convenience store, just 1 mile away from my house. An old lady murdered for $20. Life is cheap, and we are surrounded by cowards.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
From what little I've heard this incident falls into the category of domestic dispute. Argument with girlfriend escalates to murder. Then other uninvolved innocents are killed. Ends in sucide.

This fits the pattern of husband/boyfriend murdering wife/girlfriend and kids. This is a regular, almost cliche, occurrence in America.

The only differerence in this case, is that the number of uninvolved (aka the children) were much greater.

Clearly this was a premeditated mass murder. An IF/THEN murder. Two handguns, chains for the door. He had to know how the door operated, to know that the chain would be effective. He brought enough ammunition to kill and wound those students.

America is indifferent about murder. America will occasionally lift an eyebrow in cases like this, where the body count is high. But in almost all other cases, America yawns at murder.

The number of unapprehended murderers in this country must number in the tens of thousands.

And there are people, among us, who advocate doing just about nothing. "If you try and defend yourself, you are more likely to get hurt." I'm sorry, but I have no respect for you if this is your view.

On the way to work, I often drive by a boarded up convenience store, just 1 mile away from my house. An old lady murdered for $20. Life is cheap, and we are surrounded by cowards.
But if we give away the guns, give away our rights and trust the government, we will be protected by them.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But if we give away the guns, give away our rights and trust the government, we will be protected by them.
We should simply allow anybody and everybody to purchase any amount of guns and ammunition.

Is gun control the answer? To stop circumstances like this, no.

Is restricting the purchase of rounds the answer? To stop mass murders like this, no.

But less guns, and less bullets in the hands of private citizens, IMO, is better than more.

I'd be interested in the probablity that an individual has of being in a circumstance where a gun would dissuade or assist in a positive manner a heightened violent situation.

As far as the shooter is concerned, looks like he is an 'Oriental Male' who was the one who called in the three bomb threats. Appears he acted alolne, was a graduate student, seems he shot the teacher first in the second set of shootings, which begs the few question: Was the teacher somehow involved in this love triangle?

It appears that the VT administration and local police were extremely negligent, and that the 30 who were shot in the engineering hall were died because of this negligence.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Well said, Mike.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
But less guns, and less bullets in the hands of private citizens, IMO, is better than more.
If this is the case, how do you explain Washington DC? Some of the strictest gun laws in the country are in place there and yet, it has one of the highest murder rates in the country.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If this is the case, how do you explain Washington DC? Some of the strictest gun laws in the country are in place there and yet, it has one of the highest murder rates in the country.
1. Impoverished area
2. High drug abuse rate
3. Gangs
4. Too many guys like Vince Foster that were willing to rat Bill Clinton out
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1. Impoverished area
2. High drug abuse rate
3. Gangs
4. Too many guys like Vince Foster that were willing to rat Bill Clinton out
But, they restrict hand guns. This ain't supposed to happen when hand guns are banned.

#4 made me chuckle.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

All I know is that thirty-three lives were lost. And yet we as a society immediately launch into arguments over domestic policy or university procedure. Should we not pause to grieve for the lives lost and pray for the families affected before we engage in such empty intellectualism?

It goes along with Mike's comment. America is indifferent. We just like things to talk about at the water cooler.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
All I know is that thirty-three lives were lost. And yet we as a society immediately launch into arguments over domestic policy or university procedure. Should we not pause to grieve for the lives lost and pray for the families affected before we engage in such empty intellectualism?

It goes along with Mike's comment. America is indifferent. We just like things to talk about at the water cooler.

We are sadly indifferent. And these lives will be lost in vain. Much vanity, very little sanity.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see it the same way. I have heard very little but an outporing of sympathy for the victims and expressions of shock and horror.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote