cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default A sick society

Yet another sweet, innocent young girl kidnapped and killed by some sick perv, right here in Zion. And just like Destiny Norton, it's a neighbor, right under the family's nose.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,514...r&promoID=1996

Why can't we protect our children? I see people on the news holding candles, crying for this poor girl. My heart also breaks, but my overriding emotion is anger.

Sometimes I think we need a return to the old-style vigilante justice, where a mob of angry men storm the jail, grab the perv and hang him from the nearest tree. I know this isn't the right way, but dammit something needs to change. There needs to be some deterrence, some fear that justice will be swift and harsh to make these sick f**ks think twice before they commit their monstrous acts.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Yet another sweet, innocent young girl kidnapped and killed by some sick perv, right here in Zion. And just like Destiny Norton, it's a neighbor, right under the family's nose.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,514...r&promoID=1996

Why can't we protect our children? I see people on the news holding candles, crying for this poor girl. My heart also breaks, but my overriding emotion is anger.

Sometimes I think we need a return to the old-style vigilante justice, where a mob of angry men storm the jail, grab the perv and hang him from the nearest tree. I know this isn't the right way, but dammit something needs to change. There needs to be some deterrence, some fear that justice will be swift and harsh to make these sick f**ks think twice before they commit their monstrous acts.

I am not convinced that there is any kind of deterrence that will work for sick and demented people such as this. Sad state of affairs.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sad thing is we are going to find out that there were signs this guy was one sick and bad dude before this happened.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Don't worry. If he has offended children, he will be taken care of IN prison.

And he will WISH he was outside hanging from a tree somewhere.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I feel bad for the Aunt that was watching her. Hopefully she's not too traumatized by the fact that the kid was taken on her watch.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend who lived across the street from that apartment building. She felt unsafe parking her car on the street and walking to her apartment, because there were always people outside of that building, like they had no jobs and nothing to do other than drink cheap beer and push each other around. Sounds like a real stereotype, but I noticed the same thing.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The sad thing is we are going to find out that there were signs this guy was one sick and bad dude before this happened.
From the article:

Quote:
A check of court records showed Met did not have any adult criminal record in Utah.
Perhaps before Utah ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
From the article:

Perhaps before Utah ...
Or perhaps I am wrong. It would seem odd to me that he had no previous problems, but maybe not.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

There doesn't seem to be a deterrent for this because punishment is neither swift nor harsh enough.

But DDD is correct. He'll get it in prison...unless someone who is a wuss decides that the scumbag wouldn't be safe in general population and is able to keep him away from those who would treat him the way he deserves to be treated.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
There doesn't seem to be a deterrent for this because punishment is neither swift nor harsh enough.

But DDD is correct. He'll get it in prison...unless someone who is a wuss decides that the scumbag wouldn't be safe in general population and is able to keep him away from those who would treat him the way he deserves to be treated.
I think you only get Ad-Seg for self-preservation if you are a high profile inmate....it would make the prison look bad if something happened (Scott Peterson, for example). Generally, Ad-Seg is for dangerous inmates, not wimpy ones.

In general, I think these folks get NO special treatment from the guards. This guy will probably be dating something pretty soon after arrival.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote