cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "I want to believe"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/14/ufo....ap/index.html

Interestingly, 14% of Americans claim that they have seen a UFO.

It's interesting also who definitive the federal officials are in blowing off the reports. As if what is described by these people could possibly be the sun bouncing off a commercial passenger jet.

So, all you Mormons, are you able to incorporate the possibility of UFOs and extraterrestrials into your religious cosmology? Not magic-y and priesthood-y enough for you?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/14/ufo....ap/index.html

Interestingly, 14% of Americans claim that they have seen a UFO.

It's interesting also who definitive the federal officials are in blowing off the reports. As if what is described by these people could possibly be the sun bouncing off a commercial passenger jet.

So, all you Mormons, are you able to incorporate the possibility of UFOs and extraterrestrials into your religious cosmology? Not magic-y and priesthood-y enough for you?

WHat are you asking? Are you asking if UFOs (unidentified flying obkects) are part of our religious cosmology? What is that supposed to mean? I assume that when you say UFO here you really mean EUFO (extraterrestrial unidentified flying objects)? Clarifying your terms and your question might help get a better response. Is this different than the ET question you asked and we talked about before?

My religious cosmology has no problem incorporating the belief that a bunch of rural texans can't identify somethign they see in the sky. Yup, that goes down pretty easily.

Last edited by creekster; 01-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You know, if there was some level of Mormonism, where you found out that God was very science fiction-y, sort of like Scientology, and you had people freaking out (like Tom Cruise did, according to the recent bio), I wonder if there would be a few like me who would say "I KNEW IT! COOL BEANS!!"
Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
creekster

Quote:
You know, if there was some level of Mormonism, where you found out that God was very science fiction-y, sort of like Scientology, and you had people freaking out (like Tom Cruise did, according to the recent bio), I wonder if there would be a few like me who would say "I KNEW IT! COOL BEANS!!"

This fact would not surprise me at all. It would surprise me if He was using technology that we know and understand now, however, and it would surprise me if He was tooling around in a mile long spaceship freaking out a bunch of dirt farmers in Salt Lick, Texas, just for fun, but I am willing to keep an open mind.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Phil Plait, a guy who debunks things like UFOs for a living, tells a story about how he once saw lights in the night sky hovering ominously and doing things that no man-made craft could do. He found out a couple minutes later that it was a flock of geese, and that the bright lights from the space shuttle launch site (where he was at the time) was reflecting off the birds.

Light does weird things sometimes, and if even professional astronomers/skeptics can be deceived, albeit momentarily, I'm not going to believe the testimony of Cletus Huckabee from Buttfuck, Texas.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This fact would not surprise me at all. It would surprise me if He was using technology that we know and understand now, however, and it would surprise me if He was tooling around in a mile long spaceship freaking out a bunch of dirt farmers in Salt Lick, Texas, just for fun, but I am willing to keep an open mind.
I suspect it was "teenagers" in one of the two lower kingdoms responsible for these recent shenanigans. They have been informed that they will be born as crustaceans, as punishment, setting back their progression to godhood by an eon or so. But who is counting.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Sorry, Woot, I'm not taking your bait. Go back to your lair.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
creekster

Quote:
I suspect it was "teenagers" in one of the two lower kingdoms responsible for these recent shenanigans. They have been informed that they will be born as crustaceans, as punishment, setting back their progression to godhood by an eon or so. But who is counting.

If you've got eternity, an eon is menaingless, so I'd do it too, if I were them. He should also keep a closer watch on the keys to the saucer.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry, Woot, I'm not taking your bait. Go back to your lair.
Ok off I go. Sorry again about your anal probe. I hear tinfoil hats are effective.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote