cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a terrible article against Kiffin but he must have

really ticked off a lot of people. It's badly written but it assembles some information which tends to show Kiffin may not have been the best choice for SC unless he is a sacrificial lamb.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...SC-Kiffin.html
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I agree that it is not well-written.

If Kiffin was not a good coach, why would the Volunteer Army be so upset at his departure? If your departure is causing rioting, then you were obviously doing something that the fanbase doesn't want to lose.

His violations at Tennessee have no direct impact on USC, but they are definitely noteworthy.

I think KIff's biggest challenge is his surly attitude and inability to assuage his detractors. Pete had this ability in spades. He destroyed his enemies by making them his friends. Kiff seems to inadvertently piss people off by saying the wrong things even though he means well (I can relate to that....ha). He needs to work on his PR skills and learn to lighten up a bit. The LA Times raked him over the coals in his opener and you could tell he was getting agitated. Mike Garrett (SC AD) had to interrupt the reporter and ask him to move on to the next question because it was getting annoying.

Harmon's predictions don't seem to contain anything beyond conjecture. In his first 6 weeks at Tenn, Kiff put together a Top 5 recruiting class last year. This year his class was set to be Top 10 until the decommits. Also, SC's class is already ranked 7 by rivals. If they can continue to land more commits, it will likely finish Top 5 again. It is a desirable destination for the best players.

These days, no coach is 100% committed. If enough money comes down the pike, the coach will bolt. Recruits should be excited to play for coaches that have a track record of sending players to the NFL.

At yesterday's presser, SC did say that the NCAA meeting re: the Bush/Mayo stuff will be the weekend of Feb 19-21. That should be a long weekend, with SC fans camping outside Heritage Hall, waiting for a white plume or a black plume to waft out of the chimney.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree that it is not well-written.

If Kiffin was not a good coach, why would the Volunteer Army be so upset at his departure? If your departure is causing rioting, then you were obviously doing something that the fanbase doesn't want to lose.

His violations at Tennessee have no direct impact on USC, but they are definitely noteworthy.

I think KIff's biggest challenge is his surly attitude and inability to assuage his detractors. Pete had this ability in spades. He destroyed his enemies by making them his friends. Kiff seems to inadvertently piss people off by saying the wrong things even though he means well (I can relate to that....ha). He needs to work on his PR skills and learn to lighten up a bit. The LA Times raked him over the coals in his opener and you could tell he was getting agitated. Mike Garrett (SC AD) had to interrupt the reporter and ask him to move on to the next question because it was getting annoying.

Harmon's predictions don't seem to contain anything beyond conjecture. In his first 6 weeks at Tenn, Kiff put together a Top 5 recruiting class last year. This year his class was set to be Top 10 until the decommits. Also, SC's class is already ranked 7 by rivals. If they can continue to land more commits, it will likely finish Top 5 again. It is a desirable destination for the best players.

These days, no coach is 100% committed. If enough money comes down the pike, the coach will bolt. Recruits should be excited to play for coaches that have a track record of sending players to the NFL.

At yesterday's presser, SC did say that the NCAA meeting re: the Bush/Mayo stuff will be the weekend of Feb 19-21. That should be a long weekend, with SC fans camping outside Heritage Hall, waiting for a white plume or a black plume to waft out of the chimney.
I have no opinion whether he can coach as he's really been off my radar. However, his negative PR skills may not serve him well in LA.

In one vein, if a coach can manage players, then given the advantages of SC, I don't see how you fail there. So if he's competent, he should succeed but maybe not by Carroll's standards which may ultimately undo him.

Pete was a perfect fit, I'm dubious given the negative PR, that Kiffin is, on that fact alone.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have no opinion whether he can coach as he's really been off my radar. However, his negative PR skills may not serve him well in LA.

In one vein, if a coach can manage players, then given the advantages of SC, I don't see how you fail there. So if he's competent, he should succeed but maybe not by Carroll's standards which may ultimately undo him.

Pete was a perfect fit, I'm dubious given the negative PR, that Kiffin is, on that fact alone.
I agree. His PR skills will doom him faster than his Xs and Os acumen (or lack thereof).

His brash arrogance served him well as an upstart. But as you are probably well aware, you will get eaten alive by the media in LA if you can't back up your arrogance with winning/blockbuster movies/record sales/etc. Hence, pompous self-centrics like Phil, Kobe, Shaq, movie stars, et al....thrive in LA. Has beens get kicked to the curb.

Pete had the city eating out of his hand. As of now, I am not sure the city even wants to eat with Kiff, let alone eat out of his hand.

One thing cures all ills: winning. If he closes on a Top 5 or so class and then storms out of the gate, the hounds will relax for awhile. If not.....could be a very bumpy and short ride.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I listened to part of his news conference and I was struck by how stupid he is.

He is stupid. As in low IQ.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I can't read articles by that jowly BYU sycophant.

This article is a different take, condemning him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ene&id=4821890

It actually made me sympathize with Kiffin. Fans are always the first to call for a coach's head, earlier than is warranted, and most of them tackle their own jobs with a lot less integrity than the coach they are condemning. Players cut and run to the pros. AD's cow tow to fans and boosters. Coaches get no loyalty when the going gets tough. That's okay; it's also okay when they leave for better jobs.

In any event, no one should have to stay in a job as an act of charity. If Kiffin felt this was his chance to make it, he did the right thing for himself and the cosmos. This is why they have buy outs in contracts. He hasn't breached any contract, committed any torts, nor comitted any crimes. Sometimes people need to make violent life changes that on the surface appear selfish and lacking integrity, when really they are taking a road of greater integrity vis-a-vis themselves and a new community.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You said yourself they were looking for panache and not necessarily the best available coach. This is why Majerus never got an offer from a top 5 program--he was too heavy. Don't kill the messenger, it's true. At places like USC, UCLA, Kentucky (basketball), North Carolina, they need the Steve Lavin look and dash. Especially at the Southern California Pac 10 schools.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

well, with Chow not coming to USC that is one piece of the puzzle that is missing.

I hate Neuweasel, but I hate Kiffin more. I hope UCLA takes it to USC.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One more thing about Kiffin. Where is the loyalty to his assistants? They come over with him, they move their families, and they are left completely in the lurch, likely to all lose their jobs.

Kiffin don't give a damn. I wouldn't work for that dildo.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One more thing about Kiffin. Where is the loyalty to his assistants? They come over with him, they move their families, and they are left completely in the lurch, likely to all lose their jobs.

Kiffin don't give a damn. I wouldn't work for that dildo.
I'm hearing that TN assistants are going to the NCAA w/ even worse infractions than have previously been reported.

Kiffin. A hiss and a byword before this is done.