cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
No, I think she's had other issues that she was willing to overlook, but with Prop 8 it was a deal breaker. This is an issue that is very important to her and I don't think she knew when she joined of the church's strong position on the issue.
If she's not gay, i don't see why it bothers her that much. Of course, I don't understand why people get all that worked up about abortion either.

Very odd, how people will attach emotional importance to an issue extrinsic to them. It must have some form of projection or insecurity.

Just be her friend. If she doesn't wish to belong, she can still use a good friend, and maybe what attracted her to the community will re-attract her. Is she cute?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is she cute?
Archaea, behave.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If she's not gay, i don't see why it bothers her that much.
Come on. You can't be serious.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Challenge her to find a Christian-based religion in California that had no involvement in the issue.
It's interesting how things evolved this past week. On Wednesday, we (i.e. Mormons) were reveling in the come-from-behind victory and patting ourselves on the back for having such terrific organization, fund-raising, and hard-working faithful members. By week's end it seems we are doing all we can to claim that we just played a minor role.

Anyway, that is how it seems to have played out in the Utah media.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #25
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I really don't think anything I say is going to keep her coming to church. Though I appreciate all your thoughts and advice.

She does feel like she was misled. She's been catching a lot of flack about joining the church from her friends and the whole prop 8 thing put her over the edge. She now feels embarrassed that she joined. I think the best thing to do is just continue to be her friend. At least she'll see that being Mormon does not necessarily mean being ultra-conservative, uptight or homophobic.
She didn't know that the Church believed in marriage between one man and one woman?

Sounds like you may have some similar feelings as she does. Are you saying the GA's are uptight and homophobic?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
She didn't know that the Church believed in marriage between one man and one woman?

Sounds like you may have some similar feelings as she does. Are you saying the GA's are uptight and homophobic?
You are unbelievable. Truly. Are you always like this?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #27
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Was she at church today? Is she normally there every week?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

That is very unfortunate, and your inclination to simply remain being her friend is probably a good one.

Were I in a similar situation, and a friend like this sought my counsel, I would probably try to find a way to help them recall moments when they felt the witness of the Spirit about the truth of the gospel. I would probably also note how sometimes we do not always understand the meaning of all things, neither the reasons why we receive certain commandments. Examples of this are plentiful through the scriptures, old and new.

It is always better--though not easier--to seek humility and approach with patience things that we do not understand.

Good luck.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Today my friend and her son attended church. Her son had been asking her to return. He said he missed it. I offered to pick him up and bring him with us, but she said no, she'd just take him. They are coming over for dinner tonight. I am looking forward to finding out how she felt about coming to church.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
You hate to hear stories like this and I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but as a liberal minded woman, it was likely just a matter of time before she found something to be offended about in regard to the LDS church.
I hate this line of reasoning. It is a justification for losing more members from the fold. "There is nothing more we could do, the fault lies entirely with her."

It is a pretty exclusive line of thinking.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote