cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
you really think she's going to believe that?
If Marsupial stated, that Marsupial knows many LDS who agree with her, and that she understood her disappointment, it might help.

"I'm so upset the Church over this."

"I know, many of my friends and acquaintances who are also members feel similarly, but it's great we can disagree yet still support each other."

I could see something ameliorating her feelings.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"I know, many of my friends and acquaintances who are also members feel similarly, but it's great we can disagree yet still support each other."

I could see something ameliorating her feelings.
Perhaps, but I'm not certain it's wise to try to emphasize that "we all disagree yet support each other" when it's clear who many who disagree have been vilified by the more zealous members. Seems like at this point, you wouldn't want to risk saying anything that's not entirely true.

But I certainly don't have any better suggestions.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm not certain it's wise to try to emphasize that "we all disagree yet support each other" when it's clear who many who disagree have been vilified by the more zealous members. Seems like at this point, you wouldn't want to risk saying anything that's not entirely true.

But I certainly don't have any better suggestions.
The approach needs massaging, but at least the FP's message anticipates disagreement, even if the actions of many members doesn't appear to welcome it. We need the liberal minded members just as much as the neocons that fundamentalism will always foster.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I guess she could read up . . .

There's plenty on the Church web site that gives info about the issue. If you think info would help. I suspect one of her problems is that she lacks perspective. New members almost always do -- it's hard to put things like Prop 8 in context when you don't have a context in your mind.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when it's clear who many who disagree have been vilified by the more zealous members
I think your sample set for drawing this conclusion is exceedingly small.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 AM   #16
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I think your sample set for drawing this conclusion is exceedingly small.
I don't know anything about it. I just think that in handling this situation, in which she clearly feels that she's been misled, it would be important to be accurate in describing the attitude of the church and the members toward dissenters. You don't want to tell her that the church and its members are openminded and accepting of all points of view if that's not the case. If it is the case, then that's great.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #17
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I really don't think anything I say is going to keep her coming to church. Though I appreciate all your thoughts and advice.

She does feel like she was misled. She's been catching a lot of flack about joining the church from her friends and the whole prop 8 thing put her over the edge. She now feels embarrassed that she joined. I think the best thing to do is just continue to be her friend. At least she'll see that being Mormon does not necessarily mean being ultra-conservative, uptight or homophobic.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I really don't think anything I say is going to keep her coming to church. Though I appreciate all your thoughts and advice.

She does feel like she was misled. She's been catching a lot of flack about joining the church from her friends and the whole prop 8 thing put her over the edge. She now feels embarrassed that she joined. I think the best thing to do is just continue to be her friend. At least she'll see that being Mormon does not necessarily mean being ultra-conservative, uptight or homophobic.
So she stopped coming over that, without talking it out? Seems like she's a little impulsive. If you liked something and the first thing you dislike causes you to abandon it, that sounds strange to me.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #19
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I think the best thing to do is just continue to be her friend. At least she'll see that being Mormon does not necessarily mean being ultra-conservative, uptight or homophobic.
I think that is wise. This may be one of those cases where the best way to witness/minister is through actions instead of words. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #20
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So she stopped coming over that, without talking it out? Seems like she's a little impulsive. If you liked something and the first thing you dislike causes you to abandon it, that sounds strange to me.
No, I think she's had other issues that she was willing to overlook, but with Prop 8 it was a deal breaker. This is an issue that is very important to her and I don't think she knew when she joined of the church's strong position on the issue.