cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #21
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk to the principal, but don't make a big deal about it, because people will talk and you don't want your kids to be thought of as complainers/atheists. We had a Jewish couple that protested the Salvation Army drop box, the Wreaths,etc. anything that could be construed as Christian in Tuscaloosa.

They succeeded in getting everything removed or placed just off school grounds pretty much, but they also succeeded in having their kids taunted and teased, and in getting in shouting matches at PTA meetings. But they went about it in a very public way that led to that outcome. Also, they never tried subtlety and tact, just confrontation and hysteria. Nobody was sad when their oldest child left the fifth grade.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
When it is your son's birthday, give each child a little bag with candy and the card that has the Articles of Faith on it.
You could give them little white Christmas M&M's and label the bag "seer stones."
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Lebowski, next time you're in town, drop by and say hi. We'll give you a cross as something to remember our lovely town by.
Will do. We can go catch a bite to eat at the Waffle House.

BTW Danimal, you look great in your wife's avatar. Looks like you've been working out.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I'd think it was great my kid was surrounded by Christians. I'd follow the teacher's example and give out cross necklaces to the kids in my primary class.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There has been no significant success in missionary work in Mayfield since that event in the late 80s.

Fear of the cross is stupid and harmful.
A little hyperbole here? I think the church gets to choose its own symbols and it has articulated a reason (which you I am certain are well aware of) for why the cross isn't one of them.

I don't think the fact that offense is given to clergy of other churches thereby is a reason to change this.

I agree that the cross is not an offensive symbol, but I see nothing offensive about our focus on the resurrection. The star of David and its symbology are not offensive or inconsistent with LDS belief either. But I'm not in a hurry to hang any up.

I see your point but I think you are overstating its impact.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In Mayfield KY the Mormon Church purchased a chapel from some other denomination and had an open house as a missionary tool. During the building prep for the open house the Elders Quorum Pres went up on the building and took a chain saw and cut off the wooden cross from the steeple.
One of the funniest things I've read in a while.

I can just imagine the previous week's ward council discussing "upgrading" the new building. Bishop turns to the EQP, "First thing, get up on the roof and cut down that damn cross."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Seriously, I don't understand why Mormons are so cross adverse. The cross is just as much a symbol of the Atonement as anything could be. Remember, it is Mormon doctrine that the agony of Gethsemene returned on the cross. the Atonement was worked out there as much as in the garden in Mormon thought.

We should not be afraid of the cross, or offended by it, or run from it. Just because the Catholic's go too far with their bloody Jesus on the cross doesn't mean we shouldn't use the symbol at all.

Fear of the cross is stupid and harmful.
I don't fear the cross but to me it is a symbol of idol worship, not a symbol of the atonement. It represents the Nicene Creeds. If somebody gave one to my child, we'd simply put it in a drawer as a remembrance. I don't want my children relying upon such symbols of idol worship. Others wearing it don't offend me.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't fear the cross but to me it is a symbol of idol worship, not a symbol of the atonement. It represents the Nicene Creeds. If somebody gave one to my child, we'd simply put it in a drawer as a remembrance. I don't want my children relying upon such symbols of idol worship. Others wearing it don't offend me.
We don't use symbols in Mormon church?

Why do we get uppity with the cross about being a useless symbol when we have plenty of symbols?

Is a happy face sun a more accurate symbol for true worship of God?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
We don't use symbols in Mormon church?

Why do we get uppity with the cross about being a useless symbol when we have plenty of symbols?

Is a happy face sun a more accurate symbol for true worship of God?
When have I or my family used a happy faced sun as a symbol of worship? We have not, nor will we ever. We usually avoid symbols except in literature. We wear no jewelry, no symbols outwardly as our lives are mostly austere and symbol free.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Was there a "significant" amount of missionary work in mayfield kentucky before the Rambo-esque act of the EQP?