cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mlb

wouldn't it be great if there was actually parity in MLB like there is in the NFL and NBA?

The same teams year after year at the top is boring. I actually forgot that the Pittsburgh Pirates existed until about a year ago.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wouldn't it be great if there was actually parity in MLB like there is in the NFL and NBA?

The same teams year after year at the top is boring. I actually forgot that the Pittsburgh Pirates existed until about a year ago.
I agree, a salary cap would do wonders for baseball.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's funny. There are those teams that are pretty much non-existent to the casual fan. The Pirates, Nationals, Royals, Rangers, Brewers...Devil Rays would be if they weren't in the AL East.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That's funny. There are those teams that are pretty much non-existent to the casual fan. The Pirates, Nationals, Royals, Rangers, Brewers...Devil Rays would be if they weren't in the AL East.
And the Expos.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Rangers and Royals are owned by guys with a ton of money. The Brewers were one of the most profitable teams in baseball last year. The Nationals are moving into a new stadium and should be okay. The Devil Rays place sucks so no one wants to go there but they have a ton of good young players. The one team I feel sorry for is the Pirates. Beautiful stadium but they put a terrible product on the field because of poor drafting or poor player development. Management there needs to get kicked in the balls and stop blaming everything but their own failure to field a good team.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
The Rangers and Royals are owned by guys with a ton of money. The Brewers were one of the most profitable teams in baseball last year. The Nationals are moving into a new stadium and should be okay. The Devil Rays place sucks so no one wants to go there but they have a ton of good young players. The one team I feel sorry for is the Pirates. Beautiful stadium but they put a terrible product on the field because of poor drafting or poor player development. Management there needs to get kicked in the balls and stop blaming everything but their own failure to field a good team.
Man I wish Hicks would sell the Rangers. He's the worst franchise owner on the planet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Nats are on the rise...

...or at least we'll be in the news when Dukes throws another bat at an umpire.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Part of what I enjoy about baseball is the ability to watch a player progress through the minors, get his chance in the majors, and then play with the big-league team for a long time.

I'd much rather have teams being able to pay their home-grown talent enough to be able to keep them for life than having teams struggling to hang onto their drafted players because they're at the salary cap.

I'd be OK with a League maximum salary, with the sort of incentives the NBA has for players to stick with their original teams. The problem is, the MLB Players union would NEVER go for it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Part of what I enjoy about baseball is the ability to watch a player progress through the minors, get his chance in the majors, and then play with the big-league team for a long time.

I'd much rather have teams being able to pay their home-grown talent enough to be able to keep them for life than having teams struggling to hang onto their drafted players because they're at the salary cap.

I'd be OK with a League maximum salary, with the sort of incentives the NBA has for players to stick with their original teams. The problem is, the MLB Players union would NEVER go for it.
And this is why Donald Fehr is the 2nd worst person on the planet. If we can rid baseball of Fehr and get a guy that actually cares about baseball, things will get better.

I realize that Fehr is just doing his job - representing the players - but he is a slimeball that cares nothing about the sport itself.

I am the self-proclaimed founder and president of the "I hate Fehr" club. If anyone would like to join me, there's plenty of room. There are no fees and only one requirement - that baseball would be better without Fehr.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote