cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default toughest climbs you've done

I have done only four really tough climbs. For creekster, bluegoose and Steel Blue, they may not be much but they had me crying.

From Reno to Mt. Rose is a 17 miler if I've measured correctly.

From Parowan to Brian Head is 15 miles of hell.

From I93 to Colorado over past Nelson is 36 miles of climbing.

From Redlands to Angela's Crest to Bear Lake is tough, and long. We did 100 miles that day and I remember a 20 percent grade that had groaning.

Others guys?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

5.11c in Moab... Oh... This is the cycling forum...

Toughest climb I know is Big Cottonwood Canyon then up Guardsman Pass to "S*** hill" over the Wasatch Crest.

It's a Mtn. Bike trail, but I honestly can't think of anything more difficult.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: toughest climbs you've done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I have done only four really tough climbs. For creekster, bluegoose and Steel Blue, they may not be much but they had me crying.
Let's make one thing clear; I am not in your league when it comes to cycling. I was really into it for about a year, but have only been doing small rides since last spring. The toughest climbs I have done were tough more for when they occurred during a century than they were for the percent grade or length of climb. When I was riding a lot, I did well on climbs that came in the first 40 miles. When climbs come at the end of a long ride I have always had a lot of trouble. I'm much heavier now than I was when I was riding. I think that any hill right now would be tough.

Bluegoose on the other hand has trained very hard since the time I stopped (we started around the same time). He has become very good and did two very difficult climbs last season. I'll let him tell you about the details, but I'm sure you know what the Death Ride is all about. One climb you might be interested in trying someday Archaea is the Mt. Shasta hillclimb race. I have a feeling that's right up your alley.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Archaea

Look at some of these climbs.

http://www.hlhap.com/azroadclimbs.html

Talk about pain. Ouch. I am a wimp when it comes to looking at some of these.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Those Arizona climbs look brutal.

I've done some tough climbs over the past couple of years.

There is a ride on the far-Northern California coast called the Tour of the Unknown coast. At mile 84-ish, there is this hill called "the wall". It follows a beautiful stretch of road right along the ocean, so there is nothing to block your view of this beast for miles to come. The initial ascent is only about a mile, but average grade is about 20-22%!!!. The organizers claim 22%, my buddies all got about 20% on their bike computers. I, along with most, had to tack side to side just to get up this thing without putting a foot down. It would be very easy to fall over if you weren't careful, because you are only going 1-2 miles per hour. After the initial grade, it levels off to about 14% for 1-2 more miles.

Following a brief downhill, then you enter what is called the "Endless Hills". These were more punishing for me, just because they followed so close behind the wall. It is 9 miles of 8-12% grade. It is full of these false-summits that are just demoralizing. Legs turn to butter after about 6 miles.

I'll write more about the other climbs later when I have a second.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
Archaea

Wow, I bow to your ever-present superiority. Just reading about that ride makes my thighs burn and heart quiver. And no I am not gay, though at times my wife might wish it.

As an old man, I'm just glad to be able to keep the bike moving. In fact, I'm such a wimp, I just bought a 27-12 cog set for our upcoming race. I figure I'm more efficient climbing at a ratio of 75-80 than 60 so I need a ratio that allows me to do more than stand.

One good thing about climbing, it brings a small smidgeon of respect from the sprinter crit riders. At least I get to see them suffer.

You are King of our Realm, oh Mighty One. Insert appropriate SNL or Holy Grail reference.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #7
bluegoose

You're much too kind. I didn't say I rode them well, I just said that I rode them.

So, what do have up front to go along with your 12/27 combo? Is that a 10 speed Dura Ace set-up? I go with a triple up front, so of course I have to make sure my panties are out of the way when I get on the bike. I think I have a 9 speed ultegra 12/25(?) cassette. It gets the job done, especially when laboring up some of the hills around our hometown.

Another fun ride I did was the Death Ride in Markleville, CA. Its basically a series of 5 mountain passes to climb up and over on your way to 129 miles and 16,000 feet of climbing. They were all between 6-10% grade for 8-12 miles. Real grinders, with absolutely no rest once you start up.

Climbing certainly doesn't play to my strengths, so it was definitely a humbling experience when these toothpick mountain goats go flying by, hardly breaking a sweat. I would've punched this one guy if I could have caught him. He's asking people around him what their HR is, trying to make it sound like this is a brutal climb. I'm suffering along at about 168, when someone finally humors him and askes what his HR is. He says "129, but it feels much higher".

Prick. (Sorry if that was one of you guys)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Archaea

That's a Dura Ace cog set. I thought triples only came on mountain bikes, but apparently I'm mistaken.

I have a 11-23 and a 11-25, but I am learning to change it for a race coming up. For whatever reason, as a team sponsor, they're making me enter the race as well. I will be the slowest crit rider ever.

I don't believe I have a strength, but I'm stupid enough and willing enough to suffer. Hence climbing.

My brother and I are racing, sorta, Mt. Rose. Our friend races ahead in fourth or fifth gear. My brother decides to comfort his older brother and to stick with me. His heartrate is at 191 and mine is 174. Man was I dying.

However, being ill can really drive one's heart rate up.

Right after returning from vacation, ill as I was, I road with the guys who were just toodling along, and my heartrate was in the 190s. Normally, prolonged riding in that range sends my thighs into convulsions, so I backed off.

We have a crit rider who sends her HR into the 200s. I wonder if the charts record 45 year olds with heart rates in the 190s or 200s. It's probably called heart attack.

I do enjoy keeping my heartrate in the 160s to low 170s. That's a good workout for me. In the 180s, and I'm feeling some pain. I can't keep it above 200 for long.

The Death Ride is on the list, as is the Furnace Creek 508 and the LotoJa.

Would you be interested in forming a team for the 508 wth creekster. I need to check the date as there is a local race I'm responsible for as well.

My friend from Reno did the Death Ride. PAC has done the death ride. Right now, my fitness only lets me race about 90 miles, after that I'm toast, but we have a nice little 130 miler next weekend before our stage race at the end of the month.

Do you have time to do the Nelson's Landing race here in Vegas? TT on Friday, Crit Saturday and RR Sunday. They have 1-5s and 45 plus and 55 plus.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
bluegoose

I can't believe that you guys are already racing down there in the desert.

I'm lucky to hit the road once a week due to torrential downpours 4-5 days a week and a light mist the rest of the time. Otherwise I'm banished to the garage for more fun of the trainer. This week the feature film is "Stuck on You" (a very funny movie, btw).

And btw, what does Angina feel like anyway? (and for you sicko's out there, I spelled it correctly, and didn't omit any letters at the beginning of the word. Reminds me of a great place to visit in Saskaschewan). I'm afraid a HR of 190 more than 2 seconds would put me in my grave.

I know nothing of the Furnace Creek 508. I just glanced at the web site. How does it work for a team? Is it a relay event? Do people actually complete all 508 solo? That takes ultra- to a whole new level.

My Father in law is an ultra runner. He's had some interesting experiences, but in doing so has become certifiably insane.

I think I'll stick to the one day events.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Archaea

508 is a single member event or a relay event. I opt for the relay event as I still have a few clients.

As you may or may not remember, I am a novice triathlete and have started training cycling to improve in that arena. As a cyclist, I suck. As a runner I suck. As a swimmer I'm passable.

So given my OCD behavior, I joined a masters swim team, sponsored three cycling teams and a tri team and now run with an ultra runner.

My ultra runner friend runs with me on speed days and on his short day. On speed days, he runs five miles to our track. We do five one mile repeats, I hasten to the gym and he runs another five miles. ON his short day, we run fifteen to twenty miles, and then I do a brick.

I only bike four days, with some rides as short as 25 miles but most are in the 40 to 50 range and an occasional 90 to 110 miler thrown in for good measure. I still need more intensity as the racers drop me almost every time. It might have to do that they don't swim or run before cycling workouts but what do I know.

I love cycling, I'm just not made for it.

Think about the 508 as a team or maybe if I can be in shape, LotoJa.