cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default O'Donnell explains himself

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawren...e_b_76764.html
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

His last paragraph is an old point, but a good one. Every religion has beliefs that, on their own, would be the subject of intense ridicule. Since they are part of a religion, however, they get a pass due to the societal taboo of criticizing religion. This is not healthy. It shouldn't be considered bigotry to evaluate religious beliefs in the same way one evaluates any other beliefs. Our political discourse is so bitter in this country that many people, including me for the most part, have tuned it out. Many partisans blindly hate the other party with an ignorance and conviction far more severe than many religites, and yet, if any criticism is raised about a religion, regardless of how gentle it is offered, that person all of a sudden is a bigot.

I love how over on CB (Yes, I went there yesterday. I'll try harder to avoid it) those not voting for Mitt because of his beliefs are all bigots. Could it be that people have simply evaluated him as a person, which includes his religion, and decided that certain of his beliefs are too crazy? How is that bigotry? This taboo against criticizing religion is quite silly, and needs to go.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Many partisans blindly hate the other party with an ignorance and conviction far more severe than many religites, and yet, if any criticism is raised about a religion, regardless of how gentle it is offered, that person all of a sudden is a bigot.
Do you think O'Donnell offered gentle criticism of the LDS Church?

Bigotry is defined as a stubborn intolerance of anything that differs from one's beliefs. O'Donnell sure sounded like a bigot that day, no matter how he tries to justify it now.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do you think O'Donnell offered gentle criticism of the LDS Church?

Bigotry is defined as a stubborn intolerance of anything that differs from one's beliefs. O'Donnell sure sounded like a bigot that day, no matter how he tries to justify it now.
Oh he may very well be a bigot. I was only responding to the resounding attitude at CB stating that anyone who considers religion in their choice of who they would prefer as president is a bigot. I didn't see O'Donnell's rant so shan't comment upon him personally.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Oh he may very well be a bigot. I was only responding to the resounding attitude at CB stating that anyone who considers religion in their choice of who they would prefer as president is a bigot. I didn't see O'Donnell's rant so shan't comment upon him personally.
Ok, I guess I misunderstood your post. I can certainly understand your comment as it applies to the MENSAs on the other board.

It's also rather ironic that folks there would accuse voting against Romney because of his religion as bigots, when they could be accused of bigotry as well, as none of the other candidates are Mormons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Sheesh. What a steaming pile of crap. This guy is remarkable.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sheesh. What a steaming pile of crap. This guy is remarkable.
My thoughts exactly.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

If you have to write that many words to justify your position, you have a problem. O'Donnell has more than one. I can't believe he wrote that many pages on the topic, and I'm even more incredulous some of you took the time to read it all.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote