cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It seems to me that the logical conclusion of your oft-repeated "chickenshit" argument would be the church not taking on the issue at all.
Here is my reasoning saying it's chickenshit, even as the LDS church is in a round about way opposing Prop. 8.

The premise of your point is that that LDS Church is not following the path of least resistance in opposing gay marriage. I daresay the vast majority of Mormons oppose gay marriage and the LDS leadership is doing the bidding of their constituents, or at least what they expect their constituents want. Moreover, opposing Prop. 8 is a visceral reaction, just like racism for some people. To not take a stand on issues like this, at least initially, would be tantamount to the LDS Church making itself quite irrelevant. Its appeal lies in its anachronistic ethos and image, to a large extent on social issues.

So the LDS Church is taking on the issue right now because it hates gays at a cellular level, and it can support Prop. 8 with acceptable cost to reputation and goodwill. It has some company, i.e., other ultra-socially conservative American protestant sects part of this confederation backing Prop. 8.

But the LDS CHurch is going about opposing Prop. 8 in a circumspect, somewhat deceitful manner to hedge its bets and avoid controversy. It asks members to not identify who sent them on errands in opposition to Prop. 8, it's conducting advocacy through push polls, etc. Yes, chickenshit.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here is my reasoning saying it's chickenshit, even as the LDS church is in a round about way opposing Prop. 8.

The premise of your point is that that LDS Church is not following the path of least resistance in opposing gay marriage. I daresay the vast majority of Mormons oppose gay marriage and the LDS leadership is doing the bidding of their constituents, or at least what they expect their constituents want. Moreover, opposing Prop. 8 is a visceral reaction, just like racism for some people. To not take a stand on issues like this, at least initially, would be tantamount to the LDS Church making itself quite irrelevant. Its appeal lies in its anachronistic ethos and image, to a large extent on social issues.

So the LDS Church is taking on the issue right now because it hates gays at a cellular level, and it can support Prop. 8 with acceptable cost to reputation and goodwill. It has some company, i.e., other ultra-socially conservative American protestant sects part of this confederation bacing Prop. 8.

But the LDS CHurch is going about opposing Prop. 8 in a circumspect, somewhat deceitful manner to hedge its bets and avoid controversy. It asks members to not identify who sent them on errands in opposition to Prop. 8, it's conducting advocacy through push polls, etc. Yes, chickenshit.
And you are chickenshit because you won't read LDS books.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I don't not read them because I'm scared they'll change my way of thinking. I don't read them anymore because they don't interest me, and there's not much there relatively speaking. I'm sure I've read more LDS literature than you have.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I don't not read them because I'm scared they'll change my way of thinking. I don't read them anymore because they don't interest me, and there's not much there relatively speaking. I'm sure I've read more LDS literature than you have.
bok! bok! bagok!

You're chickenshit.

The debate is over.

And dumb downed children's books don't count.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
bok! bok! bagok!

You're chickenshit.

The debate is over.
You're a chickenshit because you feel like you have to apologize for picking Asiata and Mack over Unga. And even after I handicapped it by pitting two Utes against only Unga (admittedly a terrific college running back). If ever I was in a fox hole with you I'd just get the hell out of there take my chances wide open among the whizzing bullets and artillery fire. Yes, you're a total chickenshit like your church.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
You're a chickenshit because you feel like you have to apologize for picking Asiata and Mack over Unga. And even after I handicapped it by pitting two Utes against only Unga (admittedly a terrific college running back). If ever I was in a fox hole with you I'd just get the hell out of there take my chances wide open among the whizzing bullets and artillery fire. Yes, you're a total chickenshit like your church.
You wouldn't last in a foxhole because you'd be too much of a chickenshit to hold to your atheist beliefs. That's right, there are no atheists in foxholes.

Either that or I'd blow your fucking brains out because you're such an asshole.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

UTE FIGHT!

YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #28
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Ah yes.

Quote:
You know everything so there is no need to read more. Ah, the intellectual! Our neighbor came to that same conclusion..........unfortuately, he took his family's agency with him.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It seems to me that the logical conclusion of your oft-repeated "chickenshit" argument would be the church not taking on the issue at all.
Quote:
Here is my reasoning saying it's chickenshit, even as the LDS church is in a round about way opposing Prop. 8.... Yes, chickenshit.
Quote:
Quote:
You're chickenshit.
Quote:
You're a chickenshit because ... Yes, you're a total chickenshit like your church.
Quote:
You wouldn't last in a foxhole because you'd be too much of a chickenshit to hold to your atheist beliefs. That's right, there are no atheists in foxholes.

Either that or I'd blow your fucking brains out because you're such an asshole.
Do your mothers know you're talking like this?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So the LDS Church is taking on the issue right now because it hates gays at a cellular level, and it can support Prop. 8 with acceptable cost to reputation and goodwill. It has some company, i.e., other ultra-socially conservative American protestant sects part of this confederation backing Prop. 8.

Sophistry.