cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burning Man 2006: Hope and Fear

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen the Burning Man episode of Reno 911? Now that was some good television.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Did any of you ever see "Rain Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise..?

There is a scene where Ray goes on and on about K-Mart. Tom replies...

"Ray, K-Mart sucks."

Robin, Burning Man Blows...

I've seen several of your posts about Burning Man over the last little while and I've decided it's time to give the good folks at CG a 2nd opinioin.

Back in the late 90s I was really involved in the SLC art scene. I worked with a lot of graphic designers, photographers, sculptors and every other kind of artist you can imagine. One day they talked me into going to Black Rock City with them. I was really excited to see this culture of giving and expression. I was sorely disappointed.

The best way to describe Burning Man is a gigantic mental circle jerk. Burning Man is a week long binge of self indulgent "acting out" under the banner of art, giving, and sharing. It is perfectly described as "full of sound and fury but signifying nothing." When it is over the fulfillment and enlightemnent that so many claim to have found is truly worth about as much as the product of an actual circle jerk. All is wadded up in a tissue and thrown away, the playboy goes back under the mattress until next year.

There are certain people at Burning Man who take advantage of the event to create some pretty inspiring displays of creativity and what Oscar Wilde called "Art for Art's sake." These people are an underwhelming minority.

Unfortunately, the masses are (IMHO) a wandering congregation of escapists who long for an experience similar to what is portrayed as the 60s in television and movies.

IMHO, Burning Man is no more "special" than a spring break gathering at a beach town, a tailgate party at the Superbowl, New Year's Eve at Time's Square, or a pit pass at Talledega. The only diference is the marketing. Just like any other crowd, the patrons of Burning Man claim that it is something which can only be appreciated by attending and that it is something everyone should experience in their lives.

Save yourself the trip... I found the whole experience to be unremarkable.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
For me, Burning Man was a very spiritual and mind expanding event.
Burning Man may very well be a mind expanding and spiritual experience for some. There are many things in this life which can provide this kind of experience. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it a worthwhile endeavor. I could say the same about climbing "free solo." Until you have tried it, you will never know the sensation of literally "clinging to life." It is a mind expanding and spiritual experience. I could have gone thru my whole life without it and I would not have missed out on anything. Conversely, I could have been doing something far more positive at the time.

I stand by my claim that Burning Man is an experience similar to mental masturbation. It may feel good while you're there, it may generate emotions and feelings which can have serious impact. Unfortunately, when it's all over, you're only left with something you could have gotten in a lot of different ways, many of which are far more beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
It is one of the great social wonders of the world. Mardi Gras, Carnival, the Haaj, the birthday of Kim Jung Il, Woodstock... Burning Man is as unique and interestesting and significant as any of these.
Burning Man is pure hype. The "experience" is a perfect example of the way the minds of the masses can be swayed by a few shiny objects, blinking lights and group psychology.

With the right number of people wanting to "belong," I could start a festival in S. Utah where people collect their own feces and trade them in order to experience "the essence" of each other and before you know it, I'd have 50,000 people flocking to Blanding to fondle each other's poop.

You can make the argument here that the same may be said for religion. I don't feel the need at this moment to define the difference between faith, orgainzed religion, etc, and Burning Man. However, the greatest difference I see is the benefit to the participant.

Burning Man is nothing, it means nothing, it stands for nothing, it promotes nothing.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't have an opinion of Burning Man one way or another, but I'm dying to know more about the circle jerk.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I really don't have an opinion of Burning Man one way or another, but I'm dying to know more about the circle jerk.
Perv... It's pretty much just a big game of "soggy biscut." ops:
Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

i must be pretty nieve when I don't know what either circle jerk or soggy biscuits mean.

crap.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Robin

r.f.